Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Dark charcoal (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/dark-charcoal-22945.html)

towtruckted 05-08-2011 09:08 PM

Dark charcoal

Is it a metallic color?

Thanks!

RageOfFury 05-08-2011 09:11 PM

Re: Dark charcoal

No it's a pearl coat

Oh and welcome! :)

towtruckted 05-08-2011 09:16 PM

RageOfFury,
Thanks for the quick reply and the welcome. It's a great forum!
What confuses me though, is that in direct sunlight, the brilliant black pearl appears to be metallic.

moosehead 05-08-2011 09:35 PM

Check this thread out

http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php...ight=Nbtstatic

dobiegillis 05-08-2011 09:42 PM

So what's the difference between metallic and pearl?

jgc4ever 05-08-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dobiegillis (Post 411397)
So what's the difference between metallic and pearl?

Pearl is coated/painted glass particles. Metallic is metal flakes.

Pearl looks metallic.

franco1961 05-09-2011 04:39 AM

Metallic paint contains small evenly-sized flakes of aluminum. This gives the auto paint its shiny appearance.
Pearl paint uses flakes of mica, a synthesized, inorganic product whose addition produces a sheen-like finish.

Metallic paint, sometimes also called "metal-flake" has actual pieces of metal in it, which are highly reflective. The individual pieces tend to lay in the paint in a horizontal manner, as they are themselves fairly flat, and you can discern the individual pieces if you look closely. They are mixed in with regular paint.
Pearlescent paints get their name from the pigments (the part that gives the paint it's color) they contain which are very round in shape, which gives the paint an iridescent quality, which is to say it looks like a different color depending on the angle. This is different than translucent (candy) paints, which let a base coat show through the top-coat.

Cars that are painted with metallic paint have a shine that remains the same no matter the angle from which it is viewed.
Changing perspectives gives pearl paint the appearance that the shade of the car color has changed.
A car that is viewed from one direction may appear white, but more like gold from a different angle.

towtruckted 05-15-2011 03:30 PM

Thanks for all the replies - very informative. I'm going back and forth between the white and dark charcoal.

JeeponDUBS 05-15-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by towtruckted (Post 415273)
Thanks for all the replies - very informative. I'm going back and forth between the white and dark charcoal.

I debated between the exact same colors and chose the dark charcoal...white looks luxurous but gets dirty fast and the dark charcoal with the pearl finish (looks kind of metallic with metal flakes) just looks better all around i think.

Bmwister 05-16-2011 04:13 PM

Dark charcoal and white are both outstanding colors on the WK2. Tough choice and it may depend on what wheels you want to run? I like the polished standard Limited wheels on white better than on the darker colors, for example while IMHO the 20" wheels flatter any color.

towtruckted 05-16-2011 04:22 PM

I'm looking at the Overland with the 20" wheels. My wife prefers the charcoal and I'm leaning towards the white. I guess that's why we are married!

netcoolery 05-17-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by towtruckted (Post 415840)
I'm looking at the Overland with the 20" wheels. My wife prefers the charcoal and I'm leaning towards the white. I guess that's why we are married!

Obvious solution ... buy two! :D