Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Airconditioner Help? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/airconditioner-help-22976.html)

ONEbadHEEPtruck 05-09-2011 04:01 PM

Airconditioner Help?

Yeah every time i have either the air conditioner on or the heater on a foul smell comes out and i dont know what to do? could it be my air filter or could have something happened that needs replacement, but sometimes like today it smelt like a damp wet smell and it smelt absolutely horrible.

burtonboards148 05-09-2011 07:48 PM

Re: Airconditioner Help?

Yes your going to want to change the cabin air filter (filters the air you breath). Depending on usage this replacement is recommended aprox. every 12,000 miles.

Valvoline is THE place to go!

ONEbadHEEPtruck 05-10-2011 05:47 PM

how do i install it? is there a video online

ONEbadHEEPtruck 05-10-2011 05:55 PM

i see in this video.

you have to buy a housing kit? is this true bc i really dont want to have to spend 60$ on a airfilter

Galaxie500 05-10-2011 07:50 PM

Squirt some Fabreze into your cowl intake with the blower on high and your windows open.
I have been meaning to do this to mine. I did it on my Ranger and it helped out a lot. There is an Auto Care Fabreze (maybe less potent) as it is quite strong when you first apply it.

thex2 05-10-2011 07:55 PM

I bought the cabin air filter install and I didn't notice any difference after installing it. I even tried some baking soda filter that claimed to help reduce exterior odors. I didn't notice any difference at all.

That being said, I purchased it to prevent exterior odors... EG: vehicle exhaust, sewage plants, etc... Your problem sounds more like a mold or something similar. IE: It's something in your vehicle's A/C system. If you're really getting it "every time" and you don't smell that odor from the outside of the vehicle, then I think you need to try and trouble shoot the problem from the inside instead of trying to block exterior odors.

Jahkneefive 05-10-2011 09:20 PM

cabin air filter is where I'd start. Also you want to make sure you're cycling to open air (not recirc) every now and then to cycle in fresh dry air. Recirc has a habit of collecting moisture on the coils that turns into mold/slime and makes the smell. If the mold isn't too bad running it on open air for a few days will dry it out . If its still there then you have 2 options.
A. Clean the coil physically, which is an all day project and you must be fair tech savy. Mopar does sell a kit specifically for cleaning the coil(or you can use good ole bleach) and a preventative coating to keep it from ever molding again, but its pricey.

B. Use Galaxie's suggestion, but use a VERY diluted bleach mixture in a spray bottle instead of febreeze. WARNING I highly suggest you cover your seats and any other cloth interior if you do this. The spray bottle will turn it into a heavy vapor that 99% of the time will cling to the a/c parts, but with bleach its always best to take extra precautions. When I did it I ended up just taping cut up pieces of a t-shirt over all the vents, which worked perfect. Needs to be a thin shirt so that air still flows through it, ie no sweatshirts. Another note you'll want to remove the cabin filter before doing this, otherwise it will soak up all the bleach.

My personal suggestion is to try them in the order I presented them as I've had the best luck and only had to goto C. once in the 10 or so times I've had a stinky a/c.

robpp 05-10-2011 10:47 PM

there is a tsb for this; it tells you how to get rid of it.

ONEbadHEEPtruck 05-14-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 412732)
there is a tsb for this; it tells you how to get rid of it.

Do you have the link to the thread? plz

Galaxie500 05-19-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ONEbadHEEPtruck (Post 414822)
Do you have the link to the thread? plz

Try here http://wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2400606.pdf