Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Hum in front end of '04. Rebuild prescribed. Huge $'s. Advice pls? Asap. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/hum-in-front-end-of-04-rebuild-prescribed-huge-s-advice-pls-asap-23018.html)

Ovrlndr 05-10-2011 09:37 AM

Hum in front end of '04. Rebuild prescribed. Huge $'s. Advice pls? Asap.

New member here, looking for advice after a price shocker.

Started noticing a hum in the front end of my '04 Overland. Fairly audible, slightly moreso when accel/decelerating, slightly less when backing off the throttle just slightly (i.e. less FE friction). So I was worried it was the front end. The extent of the cost was my suprise. Dealer initially suspected worn pinion bearing. Whew. Until they opened it up.
diagnosis:
- pinion bearing worn
- gear set worn
- pinion gear worn
Estimate for repairs: $3200 (Yes, three thousand two hundred)
They could source a used diff and install for $1000.

136,000 km. Never been offroad/abused. Diff fluid changed per maint sched.

Isn't this a little premature?
Any Service Bulletins?
If I just bolt it back up and defer the repairs, do I risk it failing totally?
If they source a replacement, unless it had low usage, how do I know I'll be any better off?

Much appreciated.

TJXJWJ 05-10-2011 09:44 AM

Re: Hum in front end of '04. Rebuild prescribed. Huge $'s. Advice pls? Asap.

Where are you? That's an insane amount of money for that repair. That's a 4 hour job maybe for and experienced mechanic? I'd get that work quoted elsewhere and have it towed there if you have to. I would GUESSTIMATE more like $700-$800 from a decent shop to replace those parts, (basically rebuild with all new seals, clean housing, and add new oil).

Chaoul1 05-10-2011 09:46 AM

You can buy all those parts yourself and get them installed from another shop for much less! Don't do it!

Ovrlndr 05-10-2011 10:24 AM

St. Albert, Alberta, Canada (I'll get my ID updated).
Don't want to get into dealer bashing either, I have no qualms with them. I guess their prices are their prices.
Any locals who happen to know someone in the greater Edm area that does Jeep work, please relay.

2005JGC 05-10-2011 01:52 PM

I really dont see alot of ring and pinion gear failure... I wont doubt their diagnosis considering I wasnt looking at it, but there is going to be some tooth "wear" that is perfectly normal and requires nothing but a new set of bearings.

3200 dollars is likely how much a brand new front axle to drop in costs... I honestly have never seen an overhaul cost anywhere near that. I think the most expensive overhaul I have seen required half of that and it was for a complete rear end basically, carrier, ring and pinion, bearings, seals etc. I suggest you search around, find another shop to diag... That is crazy!

Ovrlndr 05-10-2011 06:43 PM

Thanks folks.
They bolted 'er back up, which I'd asked them to do prior to posting the thread.
Fully functional and they don't think there's a safety risk.
(I was concerned that humming = friction = heat = yikes).
I'll put up with the buzz for now and look around for an alternative.
Got a couple of leads.