Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Changed Spark Plugs (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/changed-spark-plugs-23032.html)

JeepWJ 05-10-2011 03:07 PM

Changed Spark Plugs

I just got my Jeep about two weeks ago with 132000km on it. This is my first jeep and I have to say that so far I love it. So far all I have done is Seafoam it and change the passenger side front wheel bearing.

To day I changed the sparkplugs with Champion Double Platinum plugs to see if I can find a little more gas milage. When taking the old plugs out I noticed that the plugs might be original and that they all burned the electrode to one side. They also had a gap of .070 to.075".

Frango100 05-10-2011 10:28 PM

Re: Changed Spark Plugs

Welcome to the garage.
Those old plugs have almost double the normal gap:eek:. Did the idle got smoother after installing the new plugs?
Knowing that the previous owner probably didnīt care too much on doing preventive maintenance, you can better change engine oil, diff/T-case / tranny fluids (and filters) and the air filter soon and start from zero.
Lateron you also better change the cooling liquid and brake fluid.
If you treat him well, he will do the same to you.
Many happy miles.

JeepWJ 05-11-2011 09:22 AM

I am planning on changing the transfer case and axle fluids in the very near future. I just have to find out what fluids I need.

It has a tow package on it but is was added later. They also added the cooler, so should I use a tow rated fluid in the rear diff? Even if I don't plan on towing anything?

Does anyone know if the D44hd rear axle is a limited slip?

JeepWJ 05-11-2011 09:24 AM

Sorry Frango1000, It does idle alot better now. The Idle is the reason why I changed the plugs in the first place. Well that and it seemed to be using more fuel that normal!

StephenE 05-11-2011 09:47 AM

The best way to find out if you have limited slip in your D44HD is to request a build sheet from Jeep. It can be done easily by going to jeep.com, at the top there is a link For Owners, then select the Customer Assistance link in the Contact Us section.

Frango100 05-11-2011 09:55 AM

Is your jeep a Select-trac. Quadra-trac or Quadra-drive? When it is Quadra-drive you have Varilocs in front and rear diff and you will need the limited slip additive in both. I know of 4x2 jeeps who have also the Variloc in the rear diff. I do not believe that if a tow package is installed lateron, that they would add the Variloc in the diff, but you never know. Probably easiest way to find out is open the diff and see. My jeep has open diffs (Quadra-tracII) and i use 80W90 as advertised on the diffs itself.

JeepWJ 05-11-2011 10:02 AM

I can't fill out the form because I am in Canada and it requires a State and Zip code. Could I take my vin# into a dealer here and get them to look it up?

JeepWJ 05-11-2011 10:03 AM

Mine is a Selec-Trac.

StephenE 05-11-2011 10:07 AM

I am sure the dealer could provide you with one.

JeepWJ 05-11-2011 10:41 AM

Ok, I went and read the rear diff and the tag says 80W90. Why doesn't the Haynes manual list that oil for any of the axle types?

Frango100 05-11-2011 11:12 AM

Here is what the Jeep manual says:

FRONT AXLE
186 FBI (Model 30) - Mopar Synthetic Gear
Lubricant 75W-140
REAR AXLE
194 RBI (Model 35) - Mopar Gear Lubricant

80W-90 (Trailer Towing - Mopar
Synthetic Gear

Lubricant 75W-140
226 RBA (Model 44) - Mopar Gear Lubricant
80W-90 (Trailer Towing - MoparSynthetic Gear

Lubricant 75W-140
NOTE: Trac-lokand Vari-lokequipped axles

require 118 ml (4 ounces) of Limited Slip Additive

be added to the lubricant.

But i also have the tags on the diffs saying 80W90 and thats what i use for 3 years.

Towerman 05-17-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepWJ (Post 412910)
I am planning on changing the transfer case and axle fluids in the very near future. I just have to find out what fluids I need.

It has a tow package on it but is was added later. They also added the cooler, so should I use a tow rated fluid in the rear diff? Even if I don't plan on towing anything?

Does anyone know if the D44hd rear axle is a limited slip?

Frango100...you can go to http://www.wjjeeps.com/jmenu.htm and find almost every thing that you need there regarding fluid types and capacities - plus a lot of other helpful model information you can print out for future use.

Hope this helps..