Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Adaptive Cruise Control ... deal breaker? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/adaptive-cruise-control-deal-breaker-23034.html)

rb3wreath 05-10-2011 03:59 PM

Adaptive Cruise Control ... deal breaker?

Hi everyone,

Found a WK2 with all the option combinations that I want except that it doesn't have adaptive cruise control. I've test driven a bunch of different ones but it wasn't until last night that I drove one with adaptive cruise control.

It took a really long time for me to figure out how to get it to turn on and start functioning ... not sure if that was just operator newness or whether it always takes a long time?

Once it was working, it mostly worked, but seemed to accelerate and decelerate a lot more harshly than I would actually do in real life if I were controlling the accelerator myself.

Trying now to decide whether it's really worth waiting to get one that has ACC or whether it's just a gimmick. Would I regret not having it a few years down the road (planning to keep this Jeep for a long time)?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Archer9 05-10-2011 04:14 PM

Re: Adaptive Cruise Control ... deal breaker?

I don't see how you could regret later not having it. It's just a bell and whistle that you can live without. I personally wouldn't even want ACC. You're giving the computer way too much control.

Sharptail 05-10-2011 04:31 PM

I wouldn't call it a deal breaker, but I have if I had to order mine all over again I would certainly specify it. On my vehicle it turns on very quickly - just turn on the off/on switch and hit the set button. I don't notice any delay.

It does not accelerate the way I would, but I think it maximizes gas milage the way it works. Mine does not brake harshly, but it can brake quickly if it has to. It is not supposed to use more than 25% of the braking power and will not bring the vehicle to a dead stop. If it needs your intervention it beeps at you.

I use it even in town now. The system lets you override it simply by hitting the gas pedal, or deactivate it with the brakes, so it doesn't get in the way. If it is on, and you are doing a shoulder check when the guy in front of you suddenly hits the binders, it can help avoid an accident. I like that feature a lot. On crowded highways it helps keep the blood pressure down, although it follows the car in front of you with enough room that people will squeeze into the gap.

This is my first ACC system, so I don't know if the Jeep's is better or worse than the competition, but it didn't take me very long to get used to it and now I use it every day. If I'd never had it I wouldn't miss it. Now that I do have it, I won't get another vehicle without it.

Sharptail

computerwiz621 05-10-2011 04:54 PM

I have it and it is a nice "whistle" especially because I do a lot of highway driving. I like the fact that you can set the cruise control and it will automatically adjust the speed for you.

Don't forget it does come in a package that includes forward collision warning, blind spot monitoring and rear cross path detection. All added safety features which can aid you in certain situations, although I would never rely on them.

kaflyboy 05-10-2011 04:59 PM

I can too attest to the ACC. I spend a lot of time in the jeep (up to 3,000 miles in less than a month) and the ACC cruise is the best feature, hands down. i'm a gadget guy so i probably like it more than others, but, it makes driving soooo much easier.

i took at 3 hour trip to a hunting club we have a few weeks ago. usually i'm fairly tired when we get there. this trip i wasnt tired. the drive was easy. just set the cruise and forget it.

i do use the driver override a bit. sometimes a car will try to shoot the gap between the car in front of you and the space the ACC generates, but, a little gas fixes that problem. you do have to monitor it a little bit but it's soo worth it.

to turn it on follow these steps (took me a minute too)

1) push ACC button (top right)
2) Turn on the "on/off" button
3) Press "set" button

it's top right button, middle left button, bottom right button. done.

to answer your question, to me it's a deal breaker.

wreckdive 05-10-2011 05:03 PM

Just gotta add. . . FCW is nice to have active! In three short weeks I have come to appreciate the "radar" more and more. Obviously lived/drove/survived well without it my entire life, but now that I have it, I'm glad that I do. My 2.

rdalcanto 05-10-2011 05:15 PM

No way I would buy a jeep without it. It is not harsh on braking or accelerating, but I have the hemi. Maybe the V6 is different? It will keep a very tight gap if you choose the shortest setting, and as everyone said, I quick tap on the gas will over-ride if needed. Blind spot detection on lane changes is worth even more - AWESOME!

rb3wreath 05-10-2011 05:45 PM

Well dagnabbit! My suspicion is confirmed and I should just be patient and wait 'til I can order a new one that has all the options I want. Thanks for the excellent feedback! I gotta stop looking at this site so I can keep it out of my mind for a few months. ;)

Cherodude 05-10-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rb3wreath (Post 412514)
Well dagnabbit! My suspicion is confirmed and I should just be patient and wait 'til I can order a new one that has all the options I want. Thanks for the excellent feedback! I gotta stop looking at this site so I can keep it out of my mind for a few months. ;)

Good luck with that. There are many JG addicts here that wish they had your (planned) willpower.

LOL!

jgc4ever 05-10-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rb3wreath (Post 412514)

Might as well get a 2012 at this point anyway. This vehicle depreciates about $7000 - $9000 in the first year per edmunds.com anyway.

Meso 05-10-2011 06:26 PM

Thought I'd add my 2 cents here too. 46 mile commute every day (total) and I almost never use the cruise. Open interstate, usually not congested, but not always so I just don't use it.

I've had the FCW go off a couple of times. It kind of surprised me how conservative it is. Even with sudden traffic stops or slow downs on the interstate I'm braking 99.99% of the time with no FCW alarm.

But...one morning I'm in the middle lane of traffic doing 60mph and a car to my left passes me with a vanity plate and my eyes locked on it while my brain tried to decrypt the meaning of the word on the plate. In that instance the FCW alarm went off and before I swung my eyeballs back on the traffic I already was braking hard. In that split second I had my eyes off the traffic, the cars in front of me in my lane slowed from 60mph to about 15mph or so.

I've been making this commute for 11 years now and in that spot I have seen 2-3 live rear end collisions and numerous others after the fact. I should have known better to be caught off guard like that, but I did get caught and almost paid the price. Can't say 100% I would have hit the car in front of me, but it would have been damn close and I definitely had an adrenaline rush.

If you can afford the system, I'd recommend it.

netcoolery 05-10-2011 06:38 PM

Just finish my first extended drive in my new Summit (800 mile round trip). I quickly grew to love the ACC.

As others have pointed out, the package includes some other goodies including the blind spot warnings and rear cross-path detection. All in all, I'm very glad to have the package.