Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Rear seat pull down release strap disconnected help... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/rear-seat-pull-down-release-strap-disconnected-help-23063.html)

vwgtipowr 05-11-2011 08:00 AM

Rear seat pull down release strap disconnected help...

Hi Guys,

Yesterday I was helping my cousin move a TV.
When I went to pull the rear seat passenger side release strap to put the rear seat down, it just came out of the seat with ZERO resistance.

The Nylon strap is in perfect shape, no cuts, rips or tears.
I can no longer put that rear seat down which is problematic for me.
I use my WK for everything!

Questions:
Anyone else have this problem?
Is it a difficult repair?
Is there any online manuallys that show the assembly of that part of the seat?
Is there a way for me to release the seat to put it down without that strap?

I haven't tried taking the seat apart yet to see what it looks like, and what could have gone wrong. I am guessing there is some kind of pin in there that fell out (from the looks of the strap)?
Sorry for all the questions. Any input, guidance or help would be greatly appreciated.
I hope to take a better look at the problem and maybe dissassemble the seat some tonight.

Thanks!

SRTILL8 05-11-2011 08:09 AM

Re: Rear seat pull down release strap disconnected help...

pics? a lil lost on the description....

vwgtipowr 05-11-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTILLA (Post 412859)

I won't be able to get pictures until tonight. There isn't much to see though.

The strap you pull to release the rear seat so you can lay it flat came out of the seat. There is a grey (probably depends on interior color) nylon loop hand strap on each side of the rear seat.
If you pull that strap, it releases the catch that holds the back of the seat, allowing you to lay the seat flat to fit larger cargo into the back.

Hope that description helps.
If you have a WK, look at the left of right of the rear seat, there should be a strap loop you can pull visible.

When I went to pull it last night, it just came out of the seat with no resistance.
Wondering what the internals look like so I know what I am up against to fix this.

Thanks

vwgtipowr 05-11-2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTILLA (Post 412859)

This is the best I can do right now :)
http://www.wkjeeps.com/photos/wk_interior_cut.jpg

In the second pic you can see the strap sticking out on the far side (drivers side).
http://www.wkjeeps.com/photos/2005_wk_81.jpg

SRTILL8 05-11-2011 08:32 AM

oh i see what youre saying now... so to recap-

you pulled the strap to engage the flip down but it doesnt release the backing down....

did the strap come out completely? can you pull on it? it may have gotten in a slight twist/knot. or the strap has teared somewhere below maybe...

vwgtipowr 05-11-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTILLA (Post 412879)
oh i see what youre saying now... so to recap-

you pulled the strap to engage the flip down but it doesnt release the backing down....

did the strap come out completely? can you pull on it? it may have gotten in a slight twist/knot. or the strap has teared somewhere below maybe...

Strap came out completely, and it came out very easily with no resistance, like it had become totally unconnected.
The strap it self is in perfect condition, no rips, tears or damage to it.

SRTILL8 05-11-2011 08:43 AM

i hear ya, that sucks..

not sure but maybe you can dig up behind it from the panels that flip up behind the rear seating. it sounds like it came off the track or may have just teared off from use/wear. what year is your jeep?

vwgtipowr 05-11-2011 08:50 AM

The seat is still secured in place and safe to use. I'd like to be able to flip it forward if I need to though. I'm guessing I will have to somehow hit the release mechanism, flip it forward and take apart that plastic corner of the seat to see what is going on internally. Not sure how to release it though with out the strap.

The JEEP is a 2007 Laredo rocky mountain edition.
Nothing fancy, but one of the BEST 4x4 I have owned!

SRTILL8 05-11-2011 08:55 AM

i would think it would be easier to dig into the problem/issue from behind than in the panel along side it.

hopefully someone will chime in with some better news for you though. all the best on the quick fix

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-11-2011 12:06 PM

you are going to have to try use unlatch the seat back with a screwdriver or something. then you will have to remove the latch assembly that is shown in the first picture to see what happened. hopefully it can be repaired, because i think that part can only be purchased on a full seat.