Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Major Electrical/Computer Problem: All warning lights on (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/major-electrical-computer-problem-all-warning-lights-on-23118.html)

markus316 05-12-2011 07:58 AM

Major Electrical/Computer Problem: All warning lights on

Has this happened to anyone else?
Driving home last night when all of a sudden all the warning lights came on, the wipers started going full blast, radio shut down, and the vehicle dropped to first gear and won't shift out of first. I tried turning off the vehicle and then back on several times and it is still the same.
I wasn't far from home so I parked it for the night. This morning it was no better. I limped it to the dealership, luckily not far from home. Now I'm waiting for their diagnosis. Not impressed after only 1600kms on my Overland 3.6L. :mad:

Has anyone else experienced this?

Markus

77rednecktruck 05-12-2011 08:13 AM

Re: Major Electrical/Computer Problem: All warning lights on

WOW, that's messed up. I had a wiper switch go bad and it made the wipers go full speed all the time but it didn't do anything else.

It's probably a bad reverse light, thanks to the wiring in the new cars. My dad does auto glass and he did a Mercedes a while ago and the customer came back saying the radio didn't work, the lights didn't work and the horn stopped working. My dad explained that all he did was change the window, he then found out that the wires on the rear view mirror go messed up and it jacked with all of those other things. Hopefully the dealer can find the bad part or the bad ground that is causing this.

hquantum 05-12-2011 06:40 PM

I am just about to call my dealer about a similar problem.
When driving I will get a chime and the seat belt light will flash, the radio will cut out, and the speedometer will go to zero.
It seems to happen when accelerating from a stop.

markus316 05-13-2011 07:44 PM

It turned out to be the main power wire from the alternator to the computer was loose. When the computer was not getting sufficient constant power it went crazy. It seems to be running fine now. Had the TSB done while I was there too.
:)

hquantum 05-13-2011 08:58 PM

Mine goes in Monday morning, I will give the dealer a heads up on this.
Thanks for sharing your findings.

ColdCase 05-13-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markus316 (Post 414511)
It turned out to be the main power wire from the alternator to the computer was loose. When the computer was not getting sufficient constant power it went crazy. It seems to be running fine now. Had the TSB done while I was there too.
:)

In the WJ days this kind of thing would fry the computer, looks like Jeep improved the computers a bit... but keep an eye out for trouble.

akalynzie 01-09-2012 08:37 AM

Similar problem here....2011 JGC. Stability control light, brake light, tire pressure light, engine light and security light all go on and the wipers went on too! At dealer for second time. I'm a wreck because I'm afraid I'm going to have to go Lemon Law. I purchased it 5 weeks ago with 10,000 miles :(

DavidB 01-09-2012 10:30 PM

interesting, this accually sounds like something close to what is happening with mine.