Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Power Wire thoughts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/power-wire-thoughts-23239.html)

dcjeepgc 05-15-2011 12:55 PM

Power Wire thoughts

I just installed a Power Wire on my 05 Grand with a 5.7L hemi. I already have a BWoody 4" cold air intake on it. I could detect absolutely no difference in power in the ole' "butt dyno" test. I took it off. The only solace I have is that the Power Wire wasn't that expensive so a relatively cheap experiement. What are your guys' experience with Power Wires?

Martyp 05-15-2011 12:56 PM

Re: Power Wire thoughts

I haven't got round to fitting mine yet, had it two years I think? Figured the results would be the same as you due it already being remapped but I will need to try it one day.

misfit77 05-16-2011 01:29 AM

cant we make these? back in my ol' XJ days, people would make adjustable MAPS and IAT mods.

antsjeep 06-03-2011 10:00 PM

its just a 4.7ohm resistor inline on the (-) side of the ambient temp sensor harness.

misfit77 06-04-2011 11:35 AM

Thanks Ants

DAVY27 06-04-2011 09:46 PM

I felt a better throttle response when i first installed it. It supposed to trick the comp but eventually it learns it and unplugging the battery every few weeks is a pain lol. but hey its $20 so yea lol

soontobesrt 06-05-2011 11:04 PM

Yep def a simple/easy DIY. Like Ant said, just a resistor on the hot side of the IAT so it tricks the computer to think its a little cooler out and dumps some extra fuel at WOT. Def works, whether or not that work is actually noticeable, varies but ID say barley if at all. But I hear people say its a scam when in fact its not a scam, its just what they say it is.

JRsmoothee 06-06-2011 10:08 PM

so if it tricks the comp into thinkin the air temp is cooler and dumps more fuel wouldnt that make your vehicle run richer, which would foul your plugs and cause problems???

antsjeep 06-07-2011 08:51 AM

Don't do it. Its money well spent elsewhere.

soontobesrt 06-08-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRsmoothee (Post 426410)
so if it tricks the comp into thinkin the air temp is cooler and dumps more fuel wouldnt that make your vehicle run richer, which would foul your plugs and cause problems???

The computer compensates by advancing timing a bit. It wont ever allow for anything to happen where it would run rich/lean, always adjusts on the fly to my knowledge. With all the o2 sensors and knock sensors and other modules, the computer is pretty good at keeping the most stable and efficient AFR at all rpms. Id say dont spend your $ on the power wire, but I just wanted to make it clear to everyone that its not simply some empty wire extension on the IAT haha, its not a scam, just not a very worth-wile mod, thats all.

PsychoJeep 06-08-2011 02:34 PM

I ordered and installed the power wire just today. I only bought it in attempts to improve fuel mileage. And of coarse I have nothing to report there considering I just installed it. I'm already using superchips 3875 flashpaq with the economy map. I have the 4.7L HO and so far I'm at 16.1mpg city only driving.