Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Tailgate won't open.

32K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  JeepMe 
#1 ·
Hi everyone/anyone, have just come across a problem with the tailgate/rear window not opening. When the remote is pressed to unlock all the doors, i get a buzz/whine from the rear as if it is trying to unlock, but obviously it won't!. I climbed into the back and noticed the small plastic panel inside the rear door, pushed down on the lever and with the lever pressed down my wife was able to lift the back door open. This is only good if there are two of you!.Then when you close the tailgate it won't open again unless you climb back into the boot and push the lever again.....Anybody had the same problem? Can anyone help?

#2 ·
i had this problem, there is a locking mechanism inside the panel that has gone bad. i got a different part at the junk yard, i dont think auto parts store sell it but they might. maybe the "stealership" can order one too. i cant remember exactly how to replace it, but i know if you pull the panel its a little black box with a trigger if i recall correctly..
hopefully someone else can chime in better to help ya out

#3 ·
Don´t have experienced this problem myself, but first i would try to lubricate the mechanism and lock motor with something like WD40. That its still making a buzzing sound, means that the motor is not completely unservicable and that probably something is holding it from moving. Give it a try, could safe some money.

#5 ·
The door lock actuator is pretty cheap all considering and VERY easy to swap out on the wj liftgate... usually if you hear a whine, buzz noise its too late, the actuator is gone and this is generally the first step. There is like 1 torx screw 1 connector and it twists out of the door skin.

#6 ·
Thanks again guys, a really thick question for you if i may. If i replace the "door lock actuator" thingy, does the remote fob recognise it still or will i have to re set it?????????? Sorry, but i'm no mechanic!, so all the help i gan get will be most appreciated!

#7 ·
nope its just an electrical actuator... it does what its told, it doesnt make any decisions. You just replace the actuator, put the interior plastic back on the door and shut, viola.

#9 ·
whoa, I dont know what you plan on doing with your wife in the back of your jeep, but I can assure you the actuator doesnt require two people stuffed into small quarters... especially covered in lube ;)

Reactions: ggrnbj
#13 ·
Ok, just got in from changing the actuator. It was delivered with the backing plate intact, so no easy twist out for me. Anyhow, there were three hex nuts holding the unit to the bodywork, then I had a nightmare trying to release the electrical connector....Then there was the two adjustable cables (one for the door handle and one for the lifty up glass bit for lazy people), then the connecting rod had to be prized out of it's holder. From start to finish this took me about two bloody hours, and finished up with bloody knuckles, aching back and blisters on my fingers. Ok so you may think that it should have been easier, but please bear in mind this is the first vehicle I have ever worked on myself. (I've had about twenty cars over the years)!
So I am actually quite happy with myself at having achieved two successful jobs (the other being the hood support struts) over the last couple of days. And both times everything worked first time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In conclusion I'd like to thank everyone for their helpful comments and instructions..........Will be posting more questions soon....Thanks...Stinky.:D

#15 ·
Glad you got everything figured out and working. What you'll find out when working on cars is that it always seems to take longer than expected. Either you don't have the right tools/parts and you have to make a trip to the hardware store. Or some hardware won't come out or breaks and you have to fix that. It's a think with working on cars. If it's a new process you're doing and you think it'll take you 1 hour....better plan on 2 hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.