Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Dumb question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/dumb-question-23279.html)

Carolyn 05-16-2011 08:35 AM

Dumb question
 
New to the forum but just bought my 4th Grand Cherokee (an Overland this time). The forum has already been a lot of help, but could someone please explain to me what WK and WK2 stand for?

Thanks,
Carolyn:confused:

Dan JGC 05-16-2011 08:54 AM

Re: Dumb question
 
WK is the designation for the 2005-2010 Grand Cherokee model.

WK2 is the designation for the 2011(-2015?) Grand Cherokee model.

Relwarc 05-16-2011 09:04 AM

Re: Dumb question
 
To piggy back Dan's response... the W and K don't mean anything specific. They are just two letter codes that Jeep uses to designate their product line.

Carolyn 05-16-2011 09:06 AM

Re: Dumb question
 
Thank you both! That was driving me crazy.

Dan JGC 05-16-2011 09:42 AM

Re: Dumb question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relwarc (Post 415638)
To piggy back Dan's response... the W and K don't mean anything specific. They are just two letter codes that Jeep uses to designate their product line.

Actually, I think the WK stands for two German words....the first being wagon.

Relwarc 05-16-2011 11:09 AM

@ Dan, interesting! Learn something new every day!

Sent from my Droid

Cherodude 05-16-2011 02:00 PM

Re: Dumb question
 
To add just a bit more: Chrysler and Jeep actually use WK as the model designation for BOTH the 2005-2010 and 2011-2016 versions. It is the fans like us that have designated WK2 for the 2011-16 model, to distinguish them.

During the Sept. 8 Jeep Engineer's chat session, they mentioned that using the same letter designation (WK) for both models was a Daimler thing, and that Jeep would not do it again in future.

dima 05-16-2011 02:30 PM

Re: Dumb question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan JGC (Post 415662)
Actually, I think the WK stands for two German words....the first being wagon.

No, 'wagon' is no german word actually...

Andrew Klossner 05-16-2011 02:48 PM

Re: Dumb question
 
But "wagen" is German for car, right? "Volkswagen" means "The people's car", as in a car cheap enough for the masses. (I'll skip the history retrospective to avoid invoking Godwin's Law.)

But I have no idea what "WK' stands for.

dima 05-17-2011 03:34 AM

Re: Dumb question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Klossner (Post 415800)
But "wagen" is German for car, right? "Volkswagen" means "The people's car", as in a car cheap enough for the masses. (I'll skip the history retrospective to avoid invoking Godwin's Law.)

But I have no idea what "WK' stands for.

Yes, that's right.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community