Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Why iPod? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/why-ipod-23285.html)

Vitalogy79 05-16-2011 11:58 AM

Why iPod?

Just out of curiosity, why is it that so many folks are set on using their ipods/iphones in their GC's as a music source? The 430N (Which I have) and the 730's both come with a substantial hard drive and copying over music files is really pretty easy to do...so why the desire to use the ipods?

Even though I've seen documentation about MP3's and WMA's being all that works on the hard drive playback, I've copied over MP4's i've purchased from iTunes and they play just fine straight from the hard drive.

I ask because perhaps there's some great benefit that I'm missing out on by using an iPod.

ColdCase 05-16-2011 12:41 PM

Re: Why iPod?

It is typically a lot easier to organize large music collections with the iPOD, pick up new songs, and then keep your play lists in sync with your current mood.

I use the iPOD mostly for pod casts that and audible books that I may listen to anywhere, include the GC. Updates are via the web. The iPOD keeps track of where I left off and only offers up the ones I have not listened to yet without much thinking or effort.

But if you are just into music and play CDs, putting the CDs on the hard drive is just fine, looking at the drive as a big CD changer.

t-pain 05-16-2011 12:42 PM

Personally I use my iPod because of the ease of loading new songs and its a lot more friendly when it comes to portability for use in other vehicles, for the gym, camping or whatever your poison. Plus they're pretty cheap and easy to recover if they crash.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

docluv01 05-16-2011 01:03 PM

My main thing, is I like beign able to have playlists. WHich is the main thing lacking off playing the music off hard drive or off usb. on my RHR, even if you copy music into folders, it will automatically sort them by title etc. If it allowed m3U's we'd be set.

SO thats why I personally use an Ipod

77rednecktruck 05-16-2011 01:09 PM

The hard drive in the Jeep is a nice feature but it is painful to navigate. Creating playlists is worse than a root canal and the 3 bar EQ is pretty lame. I use a cheap mp3 player (because Apple products are horrible...) that has an EQ built in and it enhances the sound a ton. Listening to one of my mp3's from the hard drive compared to listening to one from my mp3 player is night and day. Plus, I can control the mp3 player a lot easier than the screen on the Jeep. I am just used to my player I guess.

Vitalogy79 05-16-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck (Post 415760)
The hard drive in the Jeep is a nice feature but it is painful to navigate. Creating playlists is worse than a root canal and the 3 bar EQ is pretty lame. I use a cheap mp3 player (because Apple products are horrible...) that has an EQ built in and it enhances the sound a ton. Listening to one of my mp3's from the hard drive compared to listening to one from my mp3 player is night and day. Plus, I can control the mp3 player a lot easier than the screen on the Jeep. I am just used to my player I guess.

I hadn't even considered this as a factor. I was unaware that the EQ selection on an ipod/mp3 player was transmitted through the USB interface. If that's the case then I will definitely check it out. I had assumed that since it was being connected via USB the Jeep unit's EQ was the driving force.

Andrew Klossner 05-16-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitalogy79 (Post 415763)
I was unaware that the EQ selection on an ipod/mp3 player was transmitted through the USB interface.

77rednecktruck says he's using a "cheap MP3 player" so I'll bet he's using the analog AUX jack, not USB.

I want iPod support so that, when my teenage daughter drives my jeep, she can play her music without loading it onto my hard drive.

RenegadeNY 05-16-2011 03:02 PM

I loaded a bunch of music onto the HD of the 730 via a usb mem stick.
The music sounds great. Not sure about the argument regarding the EQ and quality.

It all depends on the quality of the track. I use >192kb tracks and they sound crystal clear and loud. Thats ultimately the underlying factor with mp3s.

Regarding iDevices.. Several cool reasons I use an iphone with the system (that is when mygig works with it! ).. I can navigate my tracks from the steering wheel. Typically the iphone gets newer songs BEFORE I load them onto the HD so thats one reason.

2nd (more importantly) - I listen to a lot of cool streaming music stations and using the iphone allows them to stream over the audio system. Hitting next and back lets me jump between stations in my favorites (in the audio app I use -- Tune In radio).

3rd - Other devices can be uses via the audio jack which basically turn the signal into analog and thus reduce quality and volume by a bit. Not to mention you lose the steering wheel controls.

Vitalogy79 05-16-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenegadeNY (Post 415809)
I loaded a bunch of music onto the HD of the 730 via a usb mem stick.
The music sounds great. Not sure about the argument regarding the EQ and quality.

It all depends on the quality of the track. I use >192kb tracks and they sound crystal clear and loud. Thats ultimately the underlying factor with mp3s.

Regarding iDevices.. Several cool reasons I use an iphone with the system (that is when mygig works with it! ).. I can navigate my tracks from the steering wheel. Typically the iphone gets newer songs BEFORE I load them onto the HD so thats one reason.

2nd (more importantly) - I listen to a lot of cool streaming music stations and using the iphone allows them to stream over the audio system. Hitting next and back lets me jump between stations in my favorites (in the audio app I use -- Tune In radio).

3rd - Other devices can be uses via the audio jack which basically turn the signal into analog and thus reduce quality and volume by a bit. Not to mention you lose the steering wheel controls.

So do you have an iPhone4? If so, what version of iOS are you running? I've heard there are some severe compatibility issues between the newer iOS releases and the 430/730's.

77rednecktruck 05-17-2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Klossner (Post 415774)
77rednecktruck says he's using a "cheap MP3 player" so I'll bet he's using the analog AUX jack, not USB.

I want iPod support so that, when my teenage daughter drives my jeep, she can play her music without loading it onto my hard drive.

yep, I use the aux cable. I love it.

RenegadeNY 05-17-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitalogy79 (Post 415821)
So do you have an iPhone4? If so, what version of iOS are you running? I've heard there are some severe compatibility issues between the newer iOS releases and the 430/730's.

Yes, I am using an iPhone 4.. and as of December, after I updated the ios to 4.2 - I lost control of my iphone through the mygig system.

Prior to that, it worked fine with version 4.0/4.1.

I'm pretty pissed and hoping either apple or chrysler updates something soon because this is unacceptable and its been 6 months now.

t-pain 05-17-2011 11:31 PM

I'm using an ip4 with mygig rer and had the same problems until I updated the head unit firmware.

Also you can use the eq and sound check settings on your iPod with the mopar cable. I use them with no problems. You don't need an aux cable to use the iPod sound settings.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk