Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Dealer Prep??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/dealer-prep-23291.html)

Mlebout 05-16-2011 03:39 PM

Dealer Prep???

Can anyone tell me what is involved in a dealer prep process, besides removing all protective plastics and washing the exterior?

Thanks,

Bmwister 05-16-2011 04:04 PM

Re: Dealer Prep???

I didn't need any, but many people feel they need THIS:
http://www.thecheapgirl.com/wp-conte...0/vaseline.jpg

But seriously, there are safety and functionality checks that the dealer circus department needs to perform as well as (they should) do a good wash and detail. My dealer did a phenomenal job inside & out and an off-the-clock tech who was standing nearby even checked my tire psi and adjusted it when I asked the salesman about it.

Mlebout 05-16-2011 04:19 PM

Nice!

Any idea how long the procedure (sorry) takes?

Thanks,

ilber 05-16-2011 04:59 PM

in real life, I think it is dependant from Manuf. to Manufacture what they pay for PDI.
Frankly *most* of the dealers that i have delt with left me high'n Dry with their pre delivery inspection.
for instance my jeep came with overinflated tires ( like most), I am not even going to expect that the clowns TRQed/checked wheels or safety inspection. for instance my tailgate hatch was misaligned and it took me another trip for them to adjust the hinges and touch up the scratch...
dealer probably gets 45 minutes or so of billable time. on my jeep dealer took perhaphs that time, but quality was not there...

i don't bash jeep, hell my GTO came with protective sill plastic that i realized 4 months into owning the car that never got removed by a lot monkey, to top off when the car was ship from Aussie land, it got over cranked on straps=broken sway bar link, screwed up alignment and a BLOWN STRUT.... NONE of which was adrressed by the dealer. I take delivery of the car, and within 12 hours bring it back for a service requiring overnight stay ( parts on back order, safety issues=non drivable car)...
so as i stated above, I am more surprised when i actually get a car PDIed... i accepted dealer's failure to do their job as the norm...

let's see
jeep- failed
GTO-failed
Hyundai- get's a gold star
Maxima-failed
Subaru - B-
Hyundai - A

just my latest bought car list

Milous 05-16-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilber (Post 415846)
...dealer probably gets 45 minutes or so of billable time.

For the 2011 Grand Cherokee, Jeep pays the dealer 1.0 hours of labor for the prep. If it comes with roof racks they'll get an additional 6 minutes.

Milous 05-16-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwister (Post 415832)
I didn't need any, but many people feel they need THIS:

Or, for SRT owners:

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Vasel_01.jpg

wreckdive 05-16-2011 08:32 PM

^ Most Excellent, Milous!

My dealer actually did an outstanding job prepping my Summit. I had asked that the exterior just be hosed off as I am kinda fanatical (!) about the techniques and products to be used for detailing. The interior was spotless. A scratched center console trim piece was replaced before I took delivery the vehicle. The EVIC programming was done exactly as I would have myself, and they even did the "magic" no-seatbelt-chime trick... I didn't have to ask! The only "mistake" they made was in giving me the iPod/iPhone adapter cable for the RER - not needed with my RHR. Georgetown Chrysler Jeep Dodge might just be trying to make me a Jeep buyer for life! Ain't that the dang'edest thing!

shamus 05-16-2011 08:47 PM

wash, nitrogen in tires and locking lugnuts.

ENFORCER 05-16-2011 09:09 PM

My Delaer charged $1895 for delaer delivery. I bet they do not spend more than an hour or 2 on the car, so it is a common ripoff in Oz

Mlebout 05-20-2011 04:07 PM

Thanks!

This is my third vehicle, in 8 years, from this dealership and they have always provided great service. So, there will be no need for petroleum jelly (funny though)!

Milous 05-20-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 416017)
My Delaer charged $1895 for delaer delivery. I bet they do not spend more than an hour or 2 on the car, so it is a common ripoff in Oz

Gasp, over $2k USD! Being that MSRP INCLUDES dealer prep, I'd say you got hosed pretty good!

Deserthucker 05-21-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 418262)
Gasp, over $2k USD! Being that MSRP INCLUDES dealer prep, I'd say you got hosed pretty good!

Perth Oz $1495 dealer delivery.