Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Lift the WJ?

To lift or not to lift

6K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Baja-D 
#1 ·
Welp, its about time for another project. I was waiting out for my dad's WK so I could lift that, but the more and more I drive my current vehicle it makes more sense to make it a weekend warrior. The drivers seat has a brand new subframe, the front end has new rotors, pads, hub assemblies, and cv boots. Most of the Jeep is good to go for the long run. I'm thinking i'll have enough money next month to responsibly drop the cash on a lift, wheels, and tires. The only thing holding me back is a bit of slip from the tranny. It seems like I'm on a countdown to a dead transmission somewhere around 150-160k. Should I drop the cash and gift this grocery getter a second lifetime of trails before it bites the dust? I could transfer a lot of parts to my second project anyway...

Jeep Specs
2001 WJ Laredo - 130,000 miles
- 4.0L I-6
- Select-trac
- Fully Loaded (leather, sunroof, heated seats, infinity gold)

I haven't looked up tranny/t-case code/axle/gear ratio info on the WJs

Plans...
-IRO 4" lift, don't know which shocks yet
eventually will add upgrade kit to make it a long arm setup
- 32's wrapped around AEV Pintler wheels
- Swap all interior audio with JL equipment http://www.wjjeeps.com/jlaudio.htm
- the rest is tbd

See less See more
#2 ·
I would lift it and ride it. You have one of the RARE fully loaded WJs w/ the I6 (most had the V8). My buddy also has one and it's awesome (same year).

Also keep in mind, if your tranny is on the way out, it's going to cost you some money. The I6 is known to last a long time. But the tranny (42RE) is not good at all and known to go out.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think 32s are pushing the limits of the stock axles (D30 in front, D35 in back) and CV joints.

tranny = 42RE
t-case = NV-242
axle = Front - D30; Rear - D35
gear ratio = 3.55 or 3.73 (I THINK it's 3.73 for the I6)

#4 · (Edited)
I would lift it and ride it. You have one of the RARE fully loaded WJs w/ the I6 (most had the V8). My buddy also has one and it's awesome (same year).
They're rare?

@Higgs98xj: I too have the exact same set-up, Mine is a 2001, Limited (Fully Loaded), almost at 130,000 miles, and has the I-6 and mine has the Steel Blue Pearl Coat.

Also, have you considered much with lighting? You could do an all LED interior and get some Gen III projectors with an HID kit if you haven't already.

#3 ·
^thanks for the specs. I've heard horror stories about Wj trannys before. I just hope im a rare case of success. I'll have one the techs at work run codes again and see if we can get any kind of life expectancy

#5 ·
Also, have you considered much with lighting? You could do an all LED interior and get some Gen III projectors with an HID kit if you haven't already.
I did an entire LED interior swap in my XJ. I don't think im going to focus on lighting if I go through with the project. If anything, I'll throw a couple add a couple of spotlights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.