Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Roof rail adapter for flag done (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/roof-rail-adapter-for-flag-done-23362.html)

Dunecrawler 05-17-2011 11:07 PM

Adapter for Roof-Rail Flag

5 Attachment(s)
I eventually finished the adapter for a flag that I use when driving in the desert. It is simple, but seems to be working well.

fourwheelin7 05-18-2011 07:09 AM

Re: Roof rail adapter for flag done

Nice!

Deserthucker 05-18-2011 07:32 AM

dunecrawler,
That is what I am looking for, but mine is for a long range aerial.
Do you have a photo of the adaptor out of the track?

Nice work.

Dunecrawler 05-18-2011 09:43 AM

Don’t have at the moment, but I will get one to you.
Just a couple of things...
Firstly, the rails were a bit loose as it comes standard. I removed the rail and then used a bit of Loctite Thread Lock between the bottom of the rail's metal part and the bolt studs on the roof itself (hope this makes sense). This made a huge difference. It is now nice and stable. I did not want to drill any extra holes.

The adapter itself is 150mm long - 19mm wide - 19mm deep. The 6mm standard bolt holes for mounting are 90mm apart. The 6mm bolts 25mm long with Allen socket heads.
The centre hole that I use for the flag mount is 12mm. I recessed the 6mm holes in order for the screws to be flush at the top.
The whole piece was machined from solid stainless steel and sloped at both ends for a more integrated look.

moosehead 05-18-2011 10:11 AM

DC, good to see you back on the board. How's your rig doin after a few adjustments? Is sandbuggying ok now despite ESC?

Deserthucker 05-18-2011 07:25 PM

OK I think I understand how it works.
Have not got my WK2 yet.
From what you said I take the rails have holes already drilled and tapped every 90mm.

Dunecrawler 05-21-2011 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 416873)
DC, good to see you back on the board. How's your rig doin after a few adjustments? Is sandbuggying ok now despite ESC?

Hi, good thanks Moose. It is fine, I still would prefer the ESC completely off, but it is almost as good as my previous WK once you get used to it. Will still get you most places, just not with as much fun.:thumbsup:

Dunecrawler 05-21-2011 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deserthucker (Post 417149)
OK I think I understand how it works.
Have not got my WK2 yet.
From what you said I take the rails have holes already drilled and tapped every 90mm.

Yeah, there are two in the front 90mm apart and I think another two in the back. Not sure how far the back ones are apart though.
The rail has the holes drilled and then the roof has a tapped stud (not sure what you call it).
The problem is that the rail is part plastic and it is a bit flimsy. With the Loctite mine was OK for the flag, but I am not sure about an arial. Might be a bit heavy.

BTW, what aircraft is that? Almost looks like a Sukhoi 29.

Deserthucker 05-21-2011 07:52 AM

Yak55 SP 110cc 2.6m composite model.

patshara 10-12-2013 09:50 AM

Re: Adapter for Roof-Rail Flag

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunecrawler (Post 416765)
I eventually finished the adapter for a flag that I use when driving in the desert. It is simple, but seems to be working well.

Hi Dunecrawler,
I am staying in Dubai & have purchased 2014 overland. I am looking for a roof rail flag & the one posted by you is interesting. Can you please let me know where I can buy the flag assy in Dubai?