Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Rear Differential Fluid Change (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/rear-differential-fluid-change-23377.html)

ChrisWk 05-18-2011 03:52 PM

Rear Differential Fluid Change

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I had some time today to change my rear differential fliud with some Mobil One fluid. I was going to do the front one too but I needed a 14mm allen wrench did not have one will get this done this weekend. So I watched the youtube video on how to do this it was pretty easy but the clean up was not. I pumped out 2 quarts of the old fluid it was black looking. This was the first time I did this myself. I had the dealership do it about 15,000 mile ago I think I paid for something. it was alot easier than I thought. I put in 2 quarts with 4 oz modifier stuff I hope that will do it. Here is a picture of what I pumped out.

08pretaco 05-18-2011 09:29 PM

Re: Rear Differential Fluid Change

Another great way to really clean it out well and get that shit oil out is to remove the cover, spray a little brake cleaner and let it sit for a bit. That way all the old oil is out and cleaned from the inside.

jeeppro 05-18-2011 09:31 PM

hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm really

Djsal5 05-19-2011 08:03 AM

people on here said not to spray any cleaner on there it will cause whyning which isnt good just change it out and fill er up

blackpepper 05-19-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djsal5 (Post 417373)
people on here said not to spray any cleaner on there it will cause whyning which isnt good just change it out and fill er up

I heard the same thing, some of the old oil keeps the gears lubricated and it's dirty contents are minimal compared to the amount of new fluids you put in.

soontobesrt 05-19-2011 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackpepper (Post 417475)
I heard the same thing, some of the old oil keeps the gears lubricated and it's dirty contents are minimal compared to the amount of new fluids you put in.

Ehhhh a little break clean never hurt anything. They're just saying so those who dont know what they're doing do go flushing the whole thing out with it. If you hit it a bit it'll help get the old crap out, just have to know what you are doing :)

Walt 05-19-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisWk (Post 417050)
Well, I had some time today to change my rear differential fliud with some Mobil One fluid. I was going to do the front one too but I needed a 14mm allen wrench did not have one will get this done this weekend. So I watched the youtube video on how to do this it was pretty easy but the clean up was not. I pumped out 2 quarts of the old fluid it was black looking. This was the first time I did this myself. I had the dealership do it about 15,000 mile ago I think I paid for something. it was alot easier than I thought. I put in 2 quarts with 4 oz modifier stuff I hope that will do it. Here is a picture of what I pumped out.

Ace Hardware has a U.S.-made 14mm Allen key for ~$10. Works just right in the available space.
Front is easier than the rear because it has a drain plug and a fill plug. Take fill plug out FIRST, then the drain plug.

lll2for3lll 05-19-2011 06:37 PM

Here is a picture of mine in the shop last Saturday taking a piss.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/...k/ef3a8599.jpg

Galaxie500 05-19-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08pretaco (Post 417220)
Another great way to really clean it out well and get that shit oil out is to remove the cover, spray a little brake cleaner and let it sit for a bit. That way all the old oil is out and cleaned from the inside.

Do Not do this.

ChrisWk 05-19-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galaxie500 (Post 417763)
Do Not do this.

I was not going to do this, I think next time I will take out all the bolts get out all the fluid. I was just surprise how black the fluid was.

Hey Walt,

How much diff fluid does the front one take, I got two quarts of for the front is that enough. I put two quarts in the rear. does the front one need the mopar friction stuff too. Thanks for telling me where to get the 14mm wrench.

Chris

Djsal5 05-20-2011 07:05 AM

you need 2 qts front and back with friction modifier for both front and back i am getting ready to do this for mine im going with amsoil also changing my T-Case also amsoil

jes_96 05-20-2011 12:52 PM

FWIW - it's not the brake cleaner itself that causes the problems per se; it's the fact that you're drying out all the lubricated parts when the brake cleaner is wiped off and/or evaporates. When you fill it back up, it takes a little while for the gear oil to work its way into all the nooks and crannies; meanwhile, the bearings, gears, et cetera are running metal on metal. Not good.

Also, the Redline 75W140 works great and already has the limited slip modifier in it.

Also, also, harborfreight.com has a vast array a specialty tools. Got all of my one-off allen wrench sockets and what-not delivered to my door. Got the whole set of hexes for less than $20.

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece...7880-html.html