Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Head gasket done, now no start no spark (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/head-gasket-done-now-no-start-no-spark-23383.html)

scottrn 05-18-2011 06:50 PM

Head gasket done, now no start no spark

Hello again, I've been talking with scjeep in another thread about getting my headgasket done on my 99 gc 4.7. Just got it all back together today and no start! @#% WTF?!:mad: So I swapped out the cam sensor, no change. I tested the crank sensor per the book and it failed ( i must not have put my meter lead all the way in) so I swapped it, no good. Now I'm out another $50 and still no running jeep. :confused:
I pulled the rail out and rechecked the seals/jets, all looked good. All 8 plugs are wet with gas ( sniff test) and it cranks no problem but its making NO effort to start. I removed the plug wires and it was exactly the same so I assume no spark. It doesnt matter with gas pedal all the way down or up. No fault codes (except for when I cranked it with the three plugs off the throttle body so it is picking up faults) at all, I even read somewhere to crank for 30 seconds to get any faults, no go.
Thanks for reading, any ideas? :confused:
Scott

Oh and I did zip tie the chain to the tensioner and double marked / checked the sprocket placement so I'm sure the timing is good.

Frango100 05-18-2011 07:27 PM

Re: Head gasket done, now no start no spark

Did you check for any blown fuse?

Escape 05-18-2011 08:37 PM

^ What he said, and did you disconnect the battery when the surgery was performed?

scottrn 05-18-2011 10:05 PM

Checked all of the fuses under the hood, not inside. And the battery was disconnected the whole time

Frango100 05-19-2011 06:52 AM

Looking into the wiring schematic a fuse indeed should not be the problem, since the same fuse is used for ignition and injectors and the ignitors are wet.
Did you check if no wiring was damaged during the head removal/installation?
You need to be sure if the problem is ignition or not, so canīt you remove one spark plug, connect it to the coil and check for spark?
Do you have a scanner to see if you have TPS indication and if it changes with the accelerator position?
Did you check for the 5V supply for the crank and cam sensor (point 3 on both connectors)?

scottrn 05-19-2011 08:48 AM

I don't have a scanner. I did get the 5v input on both sensors, must not have positioned the probe correctly as the new one doesn't work and still no fault. I will pull a plug this afternoon and see.
If I put the chain off a tooth or 2 *(which i didnt) for the sake of argument, shouldnt it still at least try to start? What about the gasket leaking again? wouldn't it still sputter?
I'm trying to think of anything, devils advocate.
Appreciate the ideas, ill confirm spark/no spark asap.

Scott

Frango100 05-19-2011 09:40 AM

Iīm not an expert on this, but if there is some leak of the head gasket(s), there should still be some compression and maybe the engine would run rough or have less power, but at least should have some signs of combustion.
With " the new one doesnīt work" you mean that the engine doesnīt work with the new sensor, right?
Did you remove the connectors of the PCM for this job? I would at least check all the connectors which you had disconnected before to see if there are no pins pushed back.
You also reconnected the ground straps to the engine?

JeepMe 05-19-2011 09:56 AM

When you checked for spark, did you make sure to ground the outside of the plug?

scottrn 05-19-2011 01:01 PM

OK, I have got spark. Pulled both valve covers off, right (drivers) the v8 mark is at 12 oclock and the left is 2 teeth off going counter clockwise.
I don't know how this happened as I thought i was extra careful but I did &*% it up. my question, is 2 teeth of enough for a no start? why no fault code? Gonna have a sammich and slap it back together ( after realigning the cam that is).
Will post next event, thanks to all for helping during this frustrating time

Scottina06 05-19-2011 01:10 PM

that is it....correct the timing issue and then make sure the new sensors have been "re-learned"

scottrn 05-19-2011 02:53 PM

About got it, just the battery and it will run. Relearn sensors? Is there something i need to do specifically?
Thanks

Frango100 05-19-2011 07:21 PM

Can not find anything about this in the jeep manual. The sensor generates a pulse when a notch from the tonewheel passes by, so there should be no reason for any relearning as far as i can see.