Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Export Tail lights WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/export-tail-lights-wk-2339.html)

NHWK05 08-29-2009 09:54 AM

Export Tail lights WK

So i would love to get a set one day. But until then i was wondering.

The stock 05 WK tails have dual running lights, tops are running and brake and bottoms are running and signals.

With the Export tails, the bottom lights where the turn signals are, does the wiring need to be modified do its a signal only and the top is the only running light?

If you did not do that, then when the running lights are on the top section would be red and the bottom section would have to be either red bulbs through a clear lense. Or Red turn signals only or amber turn signals only.

Has lips made a wiring kit for this yet?

Scottina06 08-29-2009 11:18 AM

Re: Export Tail lights WK

the export tailights are plug and play

NHWK05 08-29-2009 12:01 PM

Understood, BUT, when your running lights are on, Dont you have both sets of bulbs working, so you then have red through red lense on top and red through a clear lense on the bottom? That would look like ass.

Do you have any pics of your jeep with the lights on, tails, brakes, signals etc? If it was just plugged in, then you turn on the running lights a bulb in the clear section should be on and a bulb above it in the red section should be on.

Scottina06 08-29-2009 01:32 PM

the top bulb is a dual filament bulb, in the non-exports...they are single filament.......the middle section is the turn and the bottom is reverse.......
when i turn on the lights...the top one lights up and thats it. Same when I hit the brakes...only the top lights up. When I turn on the signal...only the middle section lights up...same when I go into reverse.

NHWK05 08-29-2009 06:06 PM

Did you modify the wiring at all to do that? On mine, all 4 bulbs are running lights, tops are running and brake and bottom/middle are running and signal.

Scottina06 08-29-2009 06:26 PM

nope...plug and play

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

the top are brake and running, the middle is turn only and the bottom is reverse only

NHWK05 08-30-2009 08:40 AM

Then something is different about your jeep because i know mine has top and middle as running lights. I will take pics tonight. Do you have a pic of the back of the export tails?

robpp 08-30-2009 09:37 AM

whats different kyle is the light.

the way they send power to the middle light. it only gets a blink signal. not a parking signal.

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

looking at them just now, it's the bulb holder that splits all the signals. I bet those are different.

that is if kyles middle bulb has 2 functions.

saleen032 08-30-2009 07:13 PM

The factory wiring is the same..The difference is in the board on the back of the lights..like Robb said, the export lights have park/brake on the top, and signal only in the middle.....they are plug and play just like Scott said about 3 or 4 times...

NHWK05 08-30-2009 10:01 PM

ok, i did not know they change the setup on them.

Scottina06 08-30-2009 11:25 PM

yep....you dont have to do anything if you have an 05-06.....just plug them in and they work perfectly