Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Change you diff bushings! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/change-you-diff-bushings-23425.html)

Seminole-3 05-19-2011 05:41 PM

Change you diff bushings!

So while I was running some errands today, I had to make an abrupt stop to avoid the person in front of me. When I did, I heard and felt a loud pop/metal snap noise from the front suspension. I immediately thought I was going to see a tire roll in front of me or something horrible. I kept driving on since I was only a block away from my house. It drove like nothing was wrong except I noticed my tire was now rubbing when I turned left.

I got out and examined the front suspension not noticing anything obvious except that my driver's side wheel/tire was about 1/2" further back than the passenger side. I thought maybe the alignment popped loose since my tires rubbed similar to that before my alignment a couple months back.

I took it to the dealership because that's where I had my alignment done previously to see if they would readjust it free of charge. About 20 mins later they informed me that the popping noise I heard was my rear diff bushing giving out completely and they also showed me that my front driveshaft was taking a beating due to the loose bushing over the last month or so and it was spitting grease.

Long story short, it doesn't fall under my warranty and I am out $1000.

I knew my bushings were going bad for a few months now but I never had the opportunity to change them. I am kicking myself now.

08Hemi 05-19-2011 05:59 PM

Re: Change you diff bushings!

how many miles do you have? do you romp your jeep a lot?

JeepCoop 05-19-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seminole-3 (Post 417651)
So while I was running some errands today, I had to make an abrupt stop to avoid the person in front of me. When I did, I heard and felt a loud pop/metal snap noise from the front suspension. I immediately thought I was going to see a tire roll in front of me or something horrible. I kept driving on since I was only a block away from my house. It drove like nothing was wrong except I noticed my tire was now rubbing when I turned left.

I got out and examined the front suspension not noticing anything obvious except that my driver's side wheel/tire was about 1/2" further back than the passenger side. I thought maybe the alignment popped loose since my tires rubbed similar to that before my alignment a couple months back.

I took it to the dealership because that's where I had my alignment done previously to see if they would readjust it free of charge. About 20 mins later they informed me that the popping noise I heard was my rear diff bushing giving out completely and they also showed me that my front driveshaft was taking a beating due to the loose bushing over the last month or so and it was spitting grease.

Long story short, it doesn't fall under my warranty and I am out $1000.

I knew my bushings were going bad for a few months now but I never had the opportunity to change them. I am kicking myself now.

Holy sh!t $1000? Mines at Jeep cuz I have some noise in the front end

Sent from my iPhone

lll2for3lll 05-19-2011 06:31 PM

How much to have the bushings replaced? Sounds like a good idea for preventive maintenance.

Seminole-3 05-20-2011 08:16 AM

I have 52K miles on mine and should have replaced the bushings at least 10-15K miles ago. I don't romp my Jeep, just normal highway driving.

The $1000 is mainly labor and then the front driveshaft. The parts are only like $80 for the bushings.

I got an initial quote a while ago to change the bushings and they said right around $500.

HemiDawg 05-20-2011 08:25 AM

Are the bushings what Jeep recommends you service every 30K miles?

Seminole-3 05-20-2011 08:28 AM

It shouldn't be that way but it seems to be a reoccurring problem with many WKs. I wouldn't say you have to do it that often but definitely keep an eye out for the issue.

2005JGC 05-20-2011 02:27 PM

If you feel a thunk in the front end when you shift from reverse to drive (some clunking may be normal with a 545rfe, but that would be transmission stuff), if you feel it clunk from the front end, your bushings are going bad or shot.

I think my dealer charges like 5 hours plus the bushings (like 30 bucks a piece, plus like a 70 dollar mount on the front as required usually that mount is intact).