Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Fluid change (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/fluid-change-23441.html)

Djsal5 05-20-2011 07:12 AM

Fluid change

so dont know if you have been following what ive been having problems with well here we go from jump

truck would stall periodically under hard driving and hard breaking had it diagnosed-issue was IAC so i replaced that TPS and EGR valve still stalling

so yesterday went bought 7qts of atf-4 mopar and all the filters and did a tranny fluid change let me tell you what a difference! My rpms never dip down anymore after driving hard and stopping fast she stays right up i am relieved that i have finally solved the problem

anyone having these problems i highly recommend a transmission fluid change do not flush! total cost for me was about 130 50 bucks to change it and 80 for fluids and filters

jes_96 05-20-2011 12:47 PM

Re: Fluid change

I had similar symptoms with my '02 Dakota w/ the 4.7 and 45RFE transmission. Changed trans fluid, all symptoms subsided, but a week later, my trans control solenoid burnt up - guess I caught it too late.

Djsal5 05-20-2011 01:09 PM

yea it was good to feel normal again still many things to be done hows the 5.7 running?

jlewissystem 05-20-2011 01:12 PM

I had the same issue: did all my fluids and the recommended 6.5 qts for tranny. I topped off with the extra .5 qts and it did the job! So - i can confirm this :)

Kevman 03-10-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djsal5 (Post 417947)
so dont know if you have been following what ive been having problems with well here we go from jump

truck would stall periodically under hard driving and hard breaking had it diagnosed-issue was IAC so i replaced that TPS and EGR valve still stalling

so yesterday went bought 7qts of atf-4 mopar and all the filters and did a tranny fluid change let me tell you what a difference! My rpms never dip down anymore after driving hard and stopping fast she stays right up i am relieved that i have finally solved the problem

anyone having these problems i highly recommend a transmission fluid change do not flush! total cost for me was about 130 50 bucks to change it and 80 for fluids and filters

hi mate, im trying to diagnose a similar stalling when coming to a stop issue, can you explain what you mean by flush Vs change? why not a flush?

also, is the fix holding so far?
thanks !:thumbsup:

DannyVtCa 03-13-2013 11:51 PM

Older transmissions have worn out parts and loose tolerances that are being filled by the metallic shavings. A flush will break loose all the little metallic parts that are filling the worn voids, while just dropping the pan and changing the filters removes about half of the fluid and doesnt have such a shock effect on the tranny. Flushing the oil doesn't magically replace the two filters and clean the magnet that catches loose metal. If you want to take care of your tranny you drop the pan and add 7 quarts plus two filters.... If you really want to baby it follow up with another oil change 10k later to get 3/4 "newer" tranny fluid. I have 100k miles and I have changed my tranny fluid four times with the first being at 20k... And knock on wood it still feels just like the day I rolled it off the lot.

briteway 04-04-2013 01:38 AM

Kevman, don't worry what they're saying about not good to flush, as if the fluid goes in the opposite direction.

You drop the pan, change the filters, put the pan back with new gasket, fill up as per normal change.

Then...

- don't start Jeep
- cut the return line from the cooler
- put a piece of clear hose on the return line with the end into a bucket
- block the other side of the cut line so the pump doesn't suck air, otherwise if won't pump fluid. I put a small piece of hose with a bolt on the end
- start the Jeep and start filling in through the dipstick while watching the fluid in the bucket, sort of at the same rate (better to do with someone in the Jeep)
- stop when you notice the new fluid coming through
- join the returna line with a piece of transmission hose overlapping 2" at each end and tighten with 2 hose clamps onn each end.
- take the Jeep for a drive to bring it to normal operating temperature and scheck level, top off as required. I needed to top off with another 2.5 quarts.

For the whole flush procedure, I used almost 19 quarts. I also had the low revs when stopping and now they're gone. The Jeep feels so much more responsive, it's unbelievable.

DannyVtCa 04-04-2013 10:23 AM

Holy crap... 19 quarts.... That is expensive! When you said flush I pictured one of those quick lube places with a flushing machine. If you have a 545rfe tranny you do not need to cut the return line. They come back from the radiator area and screw into the passenger side of the transmission. Pretty darn easy to screw one out. As for the trannys in the 3.7 and 6.1... I don't know if the return hose is set up the same.

briteway 04-04-2013 06:30 PM

Nah, not expensive in comparison what the dealer wanted for a half flush. I wanted to undo the line at the transmission initially but decided to cut the return line as I found that to be easier to stick the clear hose over it and close off the other end. I just couldn't think of anything to plug the hole on the tranny and then I'd need a thicker tube to get over the fitting that screws onto the tranny and wasn't sure if it would leak behind it. I just thought I had enough mess on me and around the Jeep.

DannyVtCa 04-04-2013 07:42 PM

I hear ya... I hate doing the tranny fluid change. Such a mess, and the darn atv is such a pain. I opted for the aftermarket rubber gasket last time and it seems to leak very, very slowly. Probably have to add a quart of ATF every 10k. Next time I'm going back to the atv gasket.

I don't really remember to much... But if that return line hose threads into the tranny you could find a bolt the same size. I seem to remember a locking clip, but also thought it threaded in.

briteway 04-04-2013 08:25 PM

Yeah, it's a friggin mess. I had a shower afterwards using my wife's Palmolive concentrate dishwashing liquid instead of shower gel. Thankfully all comes off.

The line threads into the tranny but couldn't find anything and couldn't be stuffed driving to a hardware store and spending time to find the right size.

It's strange that your gasket was leaking. This is the second time I'm using the rubber gasket and no leaks whatsoever. Maybe you overtightened it.