Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   4wd system (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/4wd-system-23450.html)

cherokee619 05-20-2011 01:54 PM

4wd system

Hey fellows. I'm gonna give u guys a little run down what my problem is. I been having my dash saying " Service 4wd System" so i took it to the steeler and had them change fluid out on the Transfer case, and i told the dude that it been throwing that message so they went ahead and changed out the fluid in the TC and that damn! message is still going :mad: rrrgh! so they threw star scan and the dude says it's throwing a code for the rear axle, no he didn't give me the code cause i just paid to service the TC.. Anyway where do you guys suggest me starting to look,or does anyone have this problem???:confused::confused::confused: i think i'm gonna go to autozone and buy a ob II from them. but any advice or feed would be really appreciated..:thumbsup:

UPDATE: Well i finally got around to taking the Jeep to the dealer and their full of it 'Price Wise! it need Rear Diff Slenoid and Harness changed out.. They want 475.00 cheddars that honestly i cant do all right now not, 23 and a wake up for our new born Daughther to be here. SO HELP FELLOWS LOL!! I have alldata for the WK but it's not that well broken down.. I'm up for this project, actually don't have a choice but is there anyone in VA. that be willing to help??

dmlong47 05-20-2011 01:58 PM

Re: 4wd system

well you can do the key trick to get the codes no need for an odb or you can go to autozone and they will use and odb and give the codes for free. after that post the codes and some one on here will give your answer

Chaoul1 05-20-2011 02:00 PM

I have the same problem! I changed the T-Case Fluid myself. But the "Service 4WD System" Light shows up every other time I turn on my Jeep. It's been like this for a good 5-6 months. No Problems yet.

cherokee619 05-20-2011 02:02 PM

I did the key one and nothing. One thing i forgot to say was, the guys said it was a stored code??? hmmmmm. I mean u guys know that damn dealer will try to tell u u need a whole efin! differencial when it could just be to change out the fluid on the diff's. I don't wanna get screw right now haahha.

Hey Paul, my jeep is the same. soon as turn it on it's there, then it will come on and off. I gotta see if it's anything that will leave us stranded cause in august were going home sweet home CA. to take our new born so the fam can meet her.. So this is why i'm doing everything to it before we leave. So you haven't found out what it is paul?? or you haven't looked into it??

2005JGC 05-20-2011 02:11 PM

the rear axle issue could be a couple things but likely the solenoid in the rear differential, either circuit failure or solenoid failure. To access the solenoid you have to pull the diff cover.

A couple things to note:

-For future reference, don't take your vehicle to a shop and tell them what you want them to do to fix your car... if it fixes it then you saved yourself money, if it didnt you just cost yourself money and you CANNOT hold them accountable (any shop not dealer specific).

-The key dance wont pull anything except P codes (powertrain). If your CEL is on it will tell you what it is, if it isnt on you wont get any information.

-second, you need to find another dealer... dont get me wrong, we dont like doing "free" work, and technically the starscan shouldnt have been hooked up for less than .5 hours secured prior, many manufacturer dealers wont even pull a code unless your willing to pay 1 hour (stupid I know). BUT, considering they did hook it up, I would have thrown you a bone and at least wrote the code down, furthermore we would have likely tried to talk you into diagnosis and prevented you from paying for a tcase service that wasnt going to fix it.

There is also a flash update reguarding the service 4wd system lamp.

Chaoul1 05-20-2011 02:12 PM

I checked up on the codes. I called the dealership also, they said they just need to reset it. This was a while back when I called. They wanted to charge my $125 to reset it. I had no problems whatsoever in the snow. Traction is still good since I bought it and Low gear works great. I haven't had any problems in the rain. Everything seems to be working normally. I don't hear anything unusual. I think it just needed maintenance.

I changed the Fluid by buying Fluid from the Dealership and changed it myself. They wants $300+ to change it. I did it for $60. Lol.

Chaoul1 05-20-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 418140)
the rear axle issue could be a couple things but likely the solenoid in the rear differential, either circuit failure or solenoid failure. To access the solenoid you have to pull the diff cover.

A couple things to note:

-For future reference, don't take your vehicle to a shop and tell them what you want them to do to fix your car... if it fixes it then you saved yourself money, if it didnt you just cost yourself money and you CANNOT hold them accountable (any shop not dealer specific).

-The key dance wont pull anything except P codes (powertrain). If your CEL is on it will tell you what it is, if it isnt on you wont get any information.

-second, you need to find another dealer... dont get me wrong, we dont like doing "free" work, and technically the starscan shouldnt have been hooked up for less than .5 hours secured prior, many manufacturer dealers wont even pull a code unless your willing to pay 1 hour (stupid I know). BUT, considering they did hook it up, I would have thrown you a bone and at least wrote the code down, furthermore we would have likely tried to talk you into diagnosis and prevented you from paying for a tcase service that wasnt going to fix it.

There is also a flash update reguarding the service 4wd system lamp.

I have no more Warranty. I'm way past it. Mines a 2005 WK 5.7L with QD-II. Will this "Flash" be "FREE" by any dealership or do I have to print out something proving that there is a TSB or something to do with the "Flash."

cherokee619 05-20-2011 02:39 PM

Yeah ur totaly right man, in few words don't hang myself LOL.. So on this flash update for service 4wd system lamp do i need to print it??? Hey but i did tell him the light was on still and that's why the hooked it up to star scan. he said if the light didn't go away to take it back..

cherokee619 05-20-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 418143)
I have no more Warranty. I'm way past it. Mines a 2005 WK 5.7L with QD-II. Will this "Flash" be "FREE" by any dealership or do I have to print out something proving that there is a TSB or something to do with the "Flash."

I don't have warranty either bro. so that's why i'm trying to find if it's someting i can do or not. Heyyyy u just shed some light. About 1yr or a little over they changed the rear trak lock silenoid:).. hmmm:rolleyes:, so that solenoid probably went bad, do they tend to go bad that quick??

2005JGC 05-20-2011 02:49 PM

unfourtunatly flashes out of warranty are on the customer... The tsb number is 21-014-06 REV. A

A little taste from the tsb:

Quote:

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The vehicle operator may describe “Service 4WD System” is illuminated but there is only a
stored Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) present or no fault present when the FDCM is
interrogated by a Scan Tool (StarSCAN®).
Also know that your controller may be up to date and may not need a flash, part of the reason you start with a diagnostic so the tech whom has all this information easily available can inspect updates and known concerns.

Good news is you got a transfercase service!

Chaoul1 05-21-2011 01:39 PM

I haven't got a DTC. I did the key Dance. I got nothing. I'll take it to my dealership if they are willing to give me a decent price just to update the darn thing....

2005JGC 05-21-2011 06:03 PM

*refer to previous comment about not telling them what you want them to do to HOPEFULLY repair your car ;) *

It may be all you need, also refer to my information reguarding the fact that the key dance does not pull body, chassis, communication or other codes... ONLY powertrain codes, P codes... you likely have dtc's in your FDCM but the key dance will not pull them, either will cheap scanners.