Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Rear End Vibration (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/rear-end-vibration-23456.html)

Bleeding Blue 05-20-2011 06:21 PM

Rear End Vibration

My 05 3.7 V6 Jeep has a rear end vibration I cant figure out. It does it right before the vehicle stops and the whole time until the brake is released. It doesnt do it while in park. It does it in forward and reverse. If the windows are up and the radio low or off you can actually hear it. I have been doing some research on it and I saw that it could be a bad transmission mount? I crawled under to take a look but couldnt see much. Thoughts?

Bleeding Blue 05-21-2011 08:10 PM

Re: Rear End Vibration

Bump...

Scottina06 05-21-2011 09:55 PM

rear U joint

Bleeding Blue 05-22-2011 08:09 AM

Ok, thanks I'll check it out

Bleeding Blue 07-27-2011 04:38 PM

I dont see any obvious signs it is bad....Should I be lubing my U-Joints? If so , any particular lube to use?

viking757 07-27-2011 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They are non grease-able. Check the u joint and see if you have any play.

To give you an idea of an extreme case
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq-kl...eature=related

Bleeding Blue 07-27-2011 06:18 PM

Does it make sense for it to be the u joint if it only does it at rest?

viking757 07-27-2011 09:13 PM

Ah from your initial post I thought you meant while you were slowing down in either forward and reverse. So lets get the straight when you are stopped and the vehicle is not in park but in Drive or reverse you get bad vibrations?

If that's the case id start with checking your engine and transmission mounts then

Bleeding Blue 07-27-2011 09:22 PM

Yes that is correct. It vibrates pretty bad from the rear end when sitting still while in drive or reverse with the brake applied. When I let off the brake it lasts for 1-2 sec. and gradually goes away as I move. I have zero problems with vibrations while moving or with braking. The weird thing is that it doesnt do it everytime I stop....but it always does it when I reverse out of the drive in the morning or make my first stop when driving.....thanks for your help

The trans mounts look ok to me, but I will try to get a few pics after work tomorrow to get your opinion, since I know nothing about them...

viking757 07-27-2011 09:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anytime:thumbsup:

Ill attach some pics from the manual to help you locate the mounts.

viking757 07-27-2011 09:42 PM

Saw you checked the trans mount already

Look for cracking that's usually the best sign that its losing its integrity. Also another trick if you have someone to help you is to pop the hood have the other person put the e-brake on and hold down the brakes firmly and put in drive apply some throttle. Then try it in reverse. See if there is a large increase in engine movement especially if the engine picks itself up on one side. The mount may be good but the bolt can be on its way also.

DO NOT STAND IN THE FRONT OF THE VEHICLE WHEN DOING THIS.

Bleeding Blue 07-28-2011 03:52 PM

I got under the truck and checked the trans mounts again, I didnt see any cracks or signs of failure (i tried to take a few pics, but they didnt come out very good.) I also tried the E brake engine mount idea and the engine did move, but not very much. It doesnt seem to be a front engine mount either. I was hoping it would do it while my gf was helping me so I could try and pinpoint the vibration, but of course it didnt do it....