Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Engine stalls and dies out with A/C on (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/engine-stalls-and-dies-out-with-a-c-on-23457.html)

GiggityGiggity 05-20-2011 06:28 PM

Engine stalls and dies out with A/C on

02 GC with V8, everything works fine when the a/c is off.

When the a/c is on i have problems. The engine sometimes will stall and die out on its own at idle. The engine will ALWAYS stall and die out when in neutral or park if you rev it with the a/c on. When I drive with a/c on, the engine will stall but not die when starting off the line in forward or reverse.

I need some advice on what might be causing this and how I should go about trying to isolate the problem and hopefully correct it.

Thanks guys!

Chaoul1 05-20-2011 07:00 PM

Re: Engine stalls and dies out with A/C on

Maybe it's time to change the Compressor. The Compressor runs off the engine. Maybe when the Compessor engages (When you turn it on) it gets stuck which causing the low RPM's which leads to stalling. Get someone to turn on the A/C while you are looking at the COmpressor. Watch how it engages.

UrbanAssaultJeep 05-20-2011 07:30 PM

Sorry to hijack this thread, but how can I tell if my A/C compressor bearing is bad?

As soon as you turn on the A/C...it begins squealing until you turn it off. The person I bought it from suspected a bearing but Idk how to check it. We have the compressor plug disconnected right now.

Chaoul1 05-20-2011 07:53 PM

You can try and hear is engage. It runs of the serpentine belt.

If it isn't spinning when the Bearing engages you should change it ASAP. I think you can change the bearing itself instead of changing out the whole compressor.

Does it only squeal when the A/C is turned on?

UrbanAssaultJeep 05-20-2011 07:57 PM

Anytime I turn the A/C on, it squeals and I just turn it off so it doesn't keep squealing. The previous owner said to just diconnect the plug to the compressor.

Also, when you start the vehicle cold, it will squeal for about 10-15 seconds and thats with the a/c and heaters off.

Chaoul1 05-20-2011 08:07 PM

Sounds nothing more like the bearing. I bet you could replace it. Call up your dealership and get a part number. Then call Advanced Auto and other places and see if you could find a replacement. Worst case is that it ends up being worse is that you have to replace it.

If you have to replace it check out eBay or www.car-part.com

Frango100 05-20-2011 08:35 PM

There is a bearing for the pulley which is always in use when the engine runs. But if it starts making noise when switching on the airco, its probably the compressor bearing itself and that one is not serviceable acc jeep manual. Maybe that there are some places where they can change this bearing, but i wonder that if the bearing is shot, how the condition of the rest of the compressor is

mtbitt 05-20-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GiggityGiggity (Post 418244)
02 GC with V8, everything works fine when the a/c is off.

When the a/c is on i have problems. The engine sometimes will stall and die out on its own at idle. The engine will ALWAYS stall and die out when in neutral or park if you rev it with the a/c on. When I drive with a/c on, the engine will stall but not die when starting off the line in forward or reverse.

I need some advice on what might be causing this and how I should go about trying to isolate the problem and hopefully correct it.

Thanks guys!

Try cleaning the Throttle body. The idle air control(IAC) could be sticking and not reacting fast enough to keep the idle up.

You can get some throttle plate cleaner at the auto parts. I usually spray the throttle plate with the throttle held open, spray it and use an old toothbrush to clean it up. Spray the IAC passage also. Then I normally fire it up, and spray some through with running, will need to run throttle to keep it running.

Hope this helps, mark

JeepMe 05-21-2011 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbitt (Post 418288)
Try cleaning the Throttle body. The idle air control(IAC) could be sticking and not reacting fast enough to keep the idle up.

You can get some throttle plate cleaner at the auto parts. I usually spray the throttle plate with the throttle held open, spray it and use an old toothbrush to clean it up. Spray the IAC passage also. Then I normally fire it up, and spray some through with running, will need to run throttle to keep it running.

Hope this helps, mark

This is what I was going to suggest doing first.

GiggityGiggity 05-21-2011 09:04 AM

TB and IAC I always felt needed a good clean since the day I got it, just never was able to get around to it. I will try that and let you guys know what happens, keeping my fingers crossed that its that simple a fix. Thanks.

UrbanAssaultJeep 05-22-2011 01:46 PM

Where can I find a how-to on how to change the A/C compressor if I pick one up at a salvage yard? If I can get the compressor on the following link, will I need any of the other parts or no?

http://www.jeepair.com/ac/4-7-liter-v-8-219.php

Chaoul1 05-22-2011 02:09 PM

Then you would need a Recovery System to Recover the Freon in your A/C System.