Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   changed my t-case fluid yesterday... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/changed-my-t-case-fluid-yesterday-23479.html)

janibeans 05-21-2011 03:09 PM

changed my t-case fluid yesterday...

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._7736221_n.jpg

.... that's all that came out. Fantastic. I'm glad whoever owned it before me took care of thi Jeep well. That's enough to fill half a can of soda. Can't wait until my shift kit, filters, and atf +4 gets in from summit racing. All the maintenance I do on this always surpises me with some new revelation of how poorly my jeep was maintained by the PO's. I wish I could find them and kick them in the face.

Martyp 05-21-2011 04:17 PM

Re: changed my t-case fluid yesterday...

Wow, that is worrying.. :eek:

When I bought mine, it had a service at the dealers about 1k miles before and they changed the T-Case and diff fluids. Turned out in the diffs, they used ATF4+... Made a terrible noise when turning tight corners/parking, thankfully another dealer changed it for free for me...

Frango100 05-21-2011 06:36 PM

No signs of leakage from the T-case? How was the fluid, no metal particles in it?

Amelie 05-21-2011 09:55 PM

@janibeans: Nice sig pic, You gotta love Antoine Dodson lol

janibeans 05-22-2011 02:08 AM

I think there might be a leak, as there's lots of gunk all over the case and surrounding area. Maybe a bad seal. Thinking about seperating the trans and tcase to check out the seal. Definitely original fluid, it was slightly silvery, bu not too bad.

cheapjeep 05-22-2011 07:24 AM

I would suspect either the front or rear output seals if it was the t-case to tranny seal you would probably be gaining fluid.

janibeans 05-22-2011 06:33 PM

Not a bad idea. Easiest way to check those out?

Also, did you install your shiftkit yourself? Mine's shipping from summit racing this week, probably gonna throw it in whenever the royal purple atf+4 arrives.

Frango100 05-22-2011 06:48 PM

Also good to check the T-case ventilation line and end cap. If that is blocked, there will be a pressure buildup in the T-case when it warms up and the fluid can escape via the seals.

janibeans 05-23-2011 02:35 AM

Will do. Thanks guys.

TJXJWJ 05-23-2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janibeans (Post 418973)

Also, did you install your shiftkit yourself? Mine's shipping from summit racing this week, probably gonna throw it in whenever the royal purple atf+4 arrives.

I'm usually 100% Royal Purple 100% of the time...but I've heard WAY too many stores about these WJ's and using anything outside of what the dealer intended. You may want to reconsider and use the OEM juice in the transfer case and trans. I do use RP engine oil and in the diffs...but these transmissions and transfer cases (from what I understand) are VERY picky.

janibeans 05-23-2011 08:40 AM

We'll see how it goes. I basically got the same stuff from the install/write-up on ngcoa.org. I'm running mopar fluid in the transfer case.

cheapjeep 05-23-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janibeans (Post 418973)

Yep no big deal.The instructions are pretty good.Also if you want to get a jump on things you can download them from Transgo's site. If you REALLY want to see this kit at it's best snip the wire coming from the #10 pin on plug going into the tranny control module by your overflow tank.This eliminates the dreaded torque management and you'll experience wot shifts that will set you back in your seat. Definitely puts a smile on your face:D