Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   need advice - should i use a sealant? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/need-advice-should-i-use-a-sealant-23492.html)

jvs0302 05-21-2011 10:56 PM

need advice - should i use a sealant?

ok guys, i am new to detailing, but have been reading up alot.

i am thinking of doing a paint correction with the two step meguiars microfiber DA system. it looks like it is very user friendly and easy to do.

i drive about 30K miles a year due to the nature of my job. my 2010 already has 38K miles on it. and even though i shouldnt, i tend to find myself driving to a carwash to get a quick wash on the truck. i am so busy with work and have a young daughter and just dont have the hours in the weekend to wash my own vehicle all of the time.

for this reason, am i better off using a sealant?? will that give me a more durable protection? if so, do i apply after the polish/wax? or do i use it instead of one of those products.

please help me develop a plan on how to do an initial detail and also what my maintenance should be.

thanks!!!

Martyp 05-22-2011 05:34 AM

Re: need advice - should i use a sealant?

Most definetly yes, get a sealant an there.

I'd suggest Zaino to you, I have used it personally and it goes on and off very nicely and leaves a finish you'd be hard pushed to beat regardless of color. If you have anything other than white/silver get Z5-PRO, if you do have white/silver get Z2-PRO. Regardless you will need the ZFX kit too.

Now after you have clayed and corrected the paint give it a wipe down with IPA this will remove any polishing oils which will prevent a good bond for the Zaino. After that just lay on 3 coats - 9 month protection.

To extend that and add gloss inbetween, get some Z-CS too. You just wash and dry the truck and then spray it on, wipe it around and leave it - no buffing required. Takes 5 mins tops and leaves about 2 months protection on its own. So will keep your 3 coats of Z2 or Z5 in great shape.

Some say Zaino is expensive, but for the quantity you get and how long it lasts its really excelllent value.

Hope that helps.

Scottina06 05-22-2011 10:59 AM

sealant for sure! I suggest Meguiers #21 synthetic sealant.....can be purchased at most auto parts stores...ie Oreillys here. Its cheap and easy to do.

jvs0302 05-22-2011 05:09 PM

thanks for the info guys. i am checking out both zaino and meguiars line of products.

i am really liking the zaino products. looks very easy to use, especially by hand which is how i plan on applying.

i took a look at the paint today and i only have fine swirls. its actually in pretty good condition, better than i thought. i dont think it needs a major correction, so i am leaning towards the zaino at this point. probably like this: dawn wash, clay bar, 2 coats of z5 pro w/ zfx OR 1 coat of the AIO product, followed by the CS to finish it all up.

three more questions for you guys:

- i have a brand new painted rear bumper - replaced after I was hit from behind. how long would you wait before applying any type of sealant like the Zaino CS to fresh paint? since the truck was gonna be in the paint shop, i also picked up the Mopar body kit, so that paint is new as well ;)

- if i choose not to seal the new parts to let the paint cure, should i still wash with the Dawn wash? will the Dawn hurt the new paint?

- I also just installed a set of SRT reps in a polished finish. the finish is beautiful! what can i use to clean and also protect the finish on these new wheels?

I am long overdue for pics of my ride. I plan on detailing memorial day weekend followed by a little photoshoot!

thanks again for the help!!

TJXJWJ 05-23-2011 07:51 AM

If you've been running it (occasionally) through car washes, you shouldn't need to worry about Dawn. It's already stripped.
Here's what I do:
Wash 2 bucket method, with Meguiars car wash soap
Clay
Wash again
Dry
Ultimate Compound (Megs)
Ultimate Polish (Megs)
NXT (Which is a Megs sealant)
Then Megs Yellow Carnuba Wax

I also have never waited more than a week to wax or seal newly painted parts and I've never had any issues.

As for the wheels, they are clearcoated so treat them no differently than the paint on your ride.

Lastly, I've heard great things about that Megs microfiber kit you're talking about. If you decide to use it, let us know how it turns out!

Here are some results shots because I'm a pic whore...

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...11drvrsfrt.jpg
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/...t/511paint.jpg

dogface_313 05-23-2011 08:35 AM

I am a big fan of Wolfgang products. The wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant is amazing, i top it with pinnacle souveran was and it is an amazing combo.

DAVY27 05-23-2011 09:03 AM

yep, def get a sealant in. Im a fan of Meguiars products but Zaino is great too! Follow Tony (TJXJWJ) steps and you will be golden!

B.P.O.D 05-23-2011 11:50 AM

as others have already said meguiars and zaino are great products. i personally have found that black fire wet diamond is better than both as a sealant. it really did shock me of how great that sealant is.

if you want to take it a step further you can add some clear coat to your finish and not have to worry about it. check out opti-coat 2.0 very good stuff!

p.s - if you can't find meguiars 21 locally you can always go w/nxt 2.0 its the same product:)

jvs0302 05-23-2011 03:33 PM

thanks guys for all of the input!! will let you know what i decide on and hopefully have pics of my results for next week.

tony, your paint looks amazing! gotta love metallic paint!

TJXJWJ 05-23-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvs0302 (Post 419383)
thanks guys for all of the input!! will let you know what i decide on and hopefully have pics of my results for next week.

tony, your paint looks amazing! gotta love metallic paint!

Thanks dude....

E Machine 05-25-2011 06:57 PM

Get ahold of some Vetreo, I've used it for the past 3 years as I detail cars for a living. My local detail supplier sells it bu have also seen it online. It's alittle time consuming as it takes 3 hours to cure to the touch and 24 hours for full cure, the finished product
Is amazing and lasts far beyond the many other sealers I've used. Just my suggestion.

DKS-1 06-15-2011 03:41 PM

Best sealant out there bar-none is BlackFire Wet Diamond, period. Longest lasting and it's a "show" sealant. I'm really surprised that since DI is active on this site that more of you are not using it.

I've pimped this stuff for years and everyone that has tried it after hearing me rave about it has come back to thank me.

GET SOME!!!!!! You won't be sorry

On thing about NXT is that it has cleaners in it, it can not be layered like BFWD or Zanio. It's an OK product for off the shelf stuff, but much much better options are out there.