Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Who do you trust? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/who-do-you-trust-23498.html)

Bleeding Blue 05-22-2011 08:09 AM

Who do you trust?

I am looking to get some maintenance done (Differentials, trans fluid, transfer case fluid, etc) Who do you guys trust as far as large companies like carx, meineke, firestone, etc? Or do you only go tot he dealer? I would love to do it all myself, but I am a noob and the most I have done is plugs, brakes, starter and I am afraid I will screw something up...thanks!

robpp 05-22-2011 08:17 AM

Re: Who do you trust?

I NEVER go to the dealer.

I also stay away from BIG CHAINS for the most part.

I try to find a great indy shop; I would suggest you try that;

or I do it myself/

of course sometimes a trip to the dealer is necessary but I would NEVER go to the stealer if its a maintenance or repair some other shop can do/

Eclipseballer 05-22-2011 09:07 AM

I go to a small independent shop within town. The owner is a long time family friend, and always does great work for a great price. I'd suggest a similar place.

StoneCold 05-22-2011 09:13 AM

Who do I trust? Me! That's who! :lol:

I never take mine to the dealer for any repairs. They cost way too much over here and aren't even proper mechanics! As Rob says a trip to the dealer is sometimes necessary for fluids etc.

Find a good shop that's reasonable and knows what they're doing and you'll be set.

jlewissystem 05-22-2011 09:36 AM

You can def do all the 60K maint and fluids by yourself, just need a few tools. There's good write-ups on here and wkjeeps.com. Good luck!:thumbsup:

Bleeding Blue 05-22-2011 11:37 AM

Ok, thanks guys....im def gonna find a local shop then. I may try the differential myself, we will see...

TheAngryMinnow 05-22-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 418724)
I NEVER go to the dealer.

I also stay away from BIG CHAINS for the most part.

I try to find a great indy shop; I would suggest you try that;

or I do it myself/

of course sometimes a trip to the dealer is necessary but I would NEVER go to the stealer if its a maintenance or repair some other shop can do/

always go to an independent shop up the road (customer for the last 6 years)

lewi3069 05-23-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoneCold (Post 418739)
Who do I trust? Me! That's who! :lol:

I never take mine to the dealer for any repairs. They cost way too much over here and aren't even proper mechanics! As Rob says a trip to the dealer is sometimes necessary for fluids etc.

Find a good shop that's reasonable and knows what they're doing and you'll be set.

Agree, I only trust myself to do the work and a few select people to help me. Father and 2 friends... One of which has a lift. See if you know anyone with a lift and/or some car knowledge, who could help you out with your first changes and show you the ropes... I used to use my storm shelter. That always works good also. Kinda a make shift oil pit. I find great satisfaction of doing the work myself and helping my friends with their maintenance.

Crestwood1001 05-23-2011 12:37 PM

I hate car shops, only trust an Indy imho, i broke down in jersey and almost had it towed home just to have him work on it, wont go anywhere else