Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   URGENT brake safety issue! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/urgent-brake-safety-issue-23500.html)

Eclipseballer 05-22-2011 08:17 AM

URGENT brake safety issue!

Hey guys.
Did some wheeling yesterday in the woods and all went fine. Had a great time with some friends. But as I was heading back through the trail, the ABS and traction loss lights came on, and the EVIC read "service electronic brake system". The front left wheel was making a loud creaking noise as I drove, but I assumed it was wet mechanics. But when I hit the pavement, the sound continued, but was improving. Unfortunately, I had to drive her home (only about a mile away) and I assumed I'd let her dry out completely and it would be fine. So I waited around 2 hours and took her around the neighborhood. Surprisingly, the ABS and Traction lights had turned off, and the message had been dismissed. As I drove, the constant whine went to a squeal when we were slow, then to when I was turning, and then to barely ever at all. I brought her down to a local shop, and unfortunately while they were closed. I had noticed the sound has completely stopped. BUT, when I got out of the car I smelled something burning on the drivers side near the wheel. And my sister witnessed smoke rising from the brake area of the wheel. I think that maybe something from the trail wedged the brake down upon the wheel, and as I drove, it wore down the brake pad allthe way until it was gone. Clearly I will not be putting this car onthe road and will be driving my suburban. Anyone have any ideas to what may have happened? The suspension and brakes LOOK identical to the opposite wheel's, but I am no professional. I am not really comfortable to take apart the wheel myself, and I'm bringing it to the garage on Monday.

Thanks guys!

Chaoul1 05-22-2011 08:24 AM

Re: URGENT brake safety issue!

Your Caliper Siezed up. If you are mechanically inclined change that Caliper.

Eclipseballer 05-22-2011 08:28 AM

Any clue on how much a procedure like that might cost at a garage? (Obviously you can't tell me labor hours wise.)

robpp 05-22-2011 08:29 AM

OR

a good sized rock wedged between rotor and dust plate/

just an FYI: when the CEL comes on and stuff its time to STOP drivijng and start fixing; its not - --- - Oh gee a light came on Ill worry about it later.

get it to any place that can work on brakes.

Eclipseballer 05-22-2011 08:33 AM

Well like I stated, I had made it a priority to keep it away from other cars on the road, and didn't traverse any main roads. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

lewi3069 05-23-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 418729)
OR

a good sized rock wedged between rotor and dust plate/

just an FYI: when the CEL comes on and stuff its time to STOP drivijng and start fixing; its not - --- - Oh gee a light came on Ill worry about it later.

get it to any place that can work on brakes.

Hey Rob can you tell me what CEL stands for?

robpp 05-23-2011 02:49 PM

Check Engine Light

lewi3069 05-23-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 419353)
Check Engine Light

Alright thanks... Now I fell like a dumbass though lol