Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Technical Tips/DIY/How-To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/)
-   -   how to-change the WK's brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/how-to-change-the-wks-brakes-2351.html)

Scottina06 08-29-2009 06:34 PM

how to-change the WK's brakes

FRONT REMOVAL

1. Raise and support vehicle.
2. Remove wheel and tire assembly.
3. Drain small amount of fluid from master cylinder brake reservoir with clean suction gun.
4. Remove the 2 caliper mounting bolts (2).
5. Compress the caliper and remove from the adaptor (4).
6. Secure caliper (1) to nearby suspension part with wire. Do not allow brake hose to support caliper weight.
7. Remove the inboard and outboard brake pads (4) from the caliper adapter (2).
8. Remove the anti-rattle clips (3) from the brake caliper adapter (2).

FRONT INSTALL

1. Remove and clean all rust and debris from the anti-rattle clip mounting surfaces (3) on the brake caliper adapter (2).
2. Install new anti-rattle clips (3) into the caliper adapter (2).
3. Install the inboard and outboard brake pads (4) onto the caliper adapter (2).
4. Install caliper (5) on the caliper adapter (2).
5. Install the caliper slide pin bolts (2) and tighten to 44 Nm (32 ft. lbs.).
6. Install wheel and tire assembly.
7. Remove support and lower vehicle.
8. Pump brake pedal until caliper pistons and brake pads are seated and a firm brake pedal is obtained.
9. Fill brake fluid.

REAR REMOVAL

1. Raise and support vehicle.
2. Remove rear wheel and tire assembly.
3. Drain small amount of fluid from master cylinder brake reservoir with a clean suction gun.
4. Bottom caliper pistons into the caliper by prying the caliper over.
5. Remove the caliper slide pins (4).
6. Remove caliper (1) from the anchor.
7. Secure caliper (1) to nearby suspension part with wire. Do not allow brake hose to support caliper weight.
8. Remove the inboard & outboard brake pads from the caliper.

REAR INSTALL

1. Install the inboard & outboard brake pads onto the caliper.
2. Lubricate the slide pins and slide pin bushings with caliper slide grease or the grease provided with the brake pads.
3. Install caliper (1) on the anchor.
4. Install the caliper slide pin bolts (4) and tighten to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.).
5. Install wheel and tire assembly.
6. Remove support and lower vehicle.
7. Pump brake pedal until caliper piston and brake pads are seated and a firm brake pedal is obtained.
8. Fill brake fluid level if necessary.

B.P.O.D 10-29-2009 11:03 PM

Re: how to-change the WK's brakes

great info here! any pics dude?

how often does everyone change their pads? i have 18k i figure with my stop and go ill prob need new pads by 25k... my pads are already starting to screech!!!

Matt 11-30-2009 11:50 PM

Hey Scott, do you happen to have any pics that point out what/where some of this stuff is?

Also, any odd or non-typical tools required?

Thanks!

TimmyB 12-19-2009 07:18 PM

I am curious why it says to drain some of the fluid from the resivoir. I have never had to do this when changing pads, I just took the cap off when compressing the piston back into the caliper. The fluid level should always be the same in the system, and go back up to the full line when compressing the piston. Draining the fluid is not a step I would do, nor is needed. And the only tools needed is a jack, jack stands, socket set to remove the caliper bolts, a wire hanger to hold the caliper once its removed(hang it from the springs) and a big C clamp or big adjustable pliers to compress the piston back into the calipers.

Scottina06 12-20-2009 01:18 AM

its just a small amount so the master cylinder doesnt overflow or pop when you pump the brakes. Then you can fill the ms to the correct level

TimmyB 12-20-2009 04:12 PM

Thats why I remove the cap, let the air out as the fluid level rises back to full. Either way I guess can be done, but i've had no problems. BUT, if someone went and added more brake fluid as the level went down because of brake pad wear than yes it prob would overflow and good idea to remove some before compressing the piston back in.

matt08etc 05-17-2010 01:47 PM

how do you tighten to 32 lbs? what are u measuring with?

Matt 05-17-2010 01:51 PM

Torque wrench

Muddy4DSM 05-03-2012 11:32 AM

I attempted this a couple of weeks ago and couldn't get the caliper bolts undone because I didn't have the right size socket. I will need to pick up a larger socket set, but don't know what size bolts they are. Does anyone have this information?

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-03-2012 11:41 AM

i dont recall off hand, but i know they werent big...... any mechanics set should have that size. if someone can give you an exact size, i would try sears because they sell sockets individually

Muddy4DSM 05-03-2012 12:34 PM

When I tried it I think I had both an 18mm and a 3/4" socket and both were just a touch too small. This is the bolt to remove the entire caliper, not to just replace the pads. I have new rotors that have to go on so have to remove everything.

kenburkeen 05-31-2012 08:25 PM

I'm going to tackle a rotor replacement along with pads. Would a 2010 have that o-ring holding the rotor on? Can I just trash it when I replace the rotors? Thanks, Ken