Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   "Piece" of junk.. /rant (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/piece-of-junk-rant-23643.html)

blackpepper 05-25-2011 02:18 PM

"Piece" of junk.. /rant

What is with the center dial on the HVAC system? Why does it feel, sound and almost look cheap? I was at the dealer and I couldn't get by how poorly this one item was built/functions compared to the rest of the vehicle's interior.. To some, this is a trivial thread and they will move on, but I know others out there have noticed the lack of quality, dead-center, in and otherwise award-winning interior.

http://thumbnails.truveo.com/0022/05...0194_Large.jpg

/rant

Andrew Klossner 05-25-2011 02:57 PM

Re: "Piece" of junk.. /rant

I especially like that dial. I don't use AUTO mode, and I've found that I can switch the system from "off" to "lowest blower setting" by spinning the dial counterclockwise.

I'm a big fan of rotary controls instead of up/down buttons. I was especially pleased that the radio has a rotary volume control, nice and close where I can reach it. I find it more natural to use than the volume controls on the steering wheel.

blackpepper 05-25-2011 03:01 PM

The ergonomics of it is ideal, I do agree, but after "playing" with everything in the WK2, it just stood out as cheap compared to the other buttons :)

ColdCase 05-25-2011 04:09 PM

Have you noticed the power window and mirror controls are straight out of the liberty?... decent, but ...

AquaForester 05-25-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackpepper (Post 420451)

That's funny I kept pushing that little thing in the middle thinking it would something cool. :cool:

08Hemi 05-25-2011 04:37 PM

I do not like the huge chrome strip on the rear tailgate, and can't stand how the trunk area feels less-wide than the wk...may be my eyes playing tricks though

kaflyboy 05-25-2011 08:26 PM

I agree with the A/C controls... cheap is an understatement. feels like something made by mattel.

I hope (listen jeep engineers) they make an alternative HVAC replacement in the future. something that replaces this one or one that will fit in the same plastic molding. that would be my first accessory purchase if avaialble.

lll2for3lll 05-25-2011 08:31 PM

Like I've said before, I do not think my next auto will be a Jeep. I love the WK I have but I think it will be time to move on after I pass the WK down to my little brother.

I'm thinking Audi or Subaru.

Technosavant 05-25-2011 09:48 PM

I've seen worse. Much worse.

Seriously, though, guys... with the feature list being what it is, you're surprised Chrysler was using some parts bin items? If every single item, top to bottom, feels like it's out of a $60K vehicle, well, guess what- that's what it is going to cost. The WK2 Overland is slightly over $40K but has all the features and is very close to the feel of vehicles carrying a 25-50% price premium on the sticker.

My wife has a new Infiniti, and we looked at pretty much all the luxury brands before we settled on the G37x... trust me, the WK2's interior is right up there with anything and everything we saw in those dealerships.

lll2for3lll 05-25-2011 09:52 PM

Well....it's Audi or Subaru for me. *cough* Alien *cough* I meant German engineering is something I've definitely been considering.

jcnaranjo 05-25-2011 10:05 PM

I agree with Technosavant... For the price you are getting a whole lot. Believe it or not, I have not touched that knob or wheel you guys are talking about. I keep my climate control in AUTO, just like I did in my BMW 330ci and adjust the temp with the hot and cold arrows. Works great...

I would have paid over 70k for the X5 with all of the features my Summit has. I have had a couple of minor issues. My brother in law has a 5 series BMW(same motor on the x5) and it has been in the shop more than my Summit for a fuel filter issue... And when winter comes around, I know I have a very capable Jeep...

lll2for3lll 05-25-2011 10:14 PM

Yeah but you're only comparing 1 BMW to Chrylser. Look at the reliabilty numbers as a whole. I love Jeeps. Don't get me wrong. My WK has been good to me.

If I get a truck, it will be a Tundra with a BDS lift. If a get a car, it will be some Audi or an STI sedan.