Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/)
-   -   UK Test of the CRD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/uk-test-of-the-crd-23671.html)

ENFORCER 05-26-2011 08:27 AM

UK Test of the CRD

Found this today : http://www.roadtestreports.co.uk/ful...1_3-litre_CRD/

77rednecktruck 06-03-2011 11:41 AM

Re: UK Test of the CRD

0-60 in 8.2 seconds :( , that sucks. Diesel's are cool in big trucks but I like the gasser in everything else.

ENFORCER 06-03-2011 09:01 PM

I am sure the Euro tuners will have the CRD as fast if not faster than a Hemi with only a tune. Turbo and 1800psi injectors will give this thing some great potential

Thrumcap 06-04-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck (Post 424555)
0-60 in 8.2 seconds :( , that sucks. Diesel's are cool in big trucks but I like the gasser in everything else.

It's probably within a half second of the Hemi and will likely feel faster off the line. Anyway, will all the other benefits that come with a diesel, who cares? This is a 5000+ pound SUV- not a performance car. If 0-60 is important to you, you chose the wrong vehicle.

77rednecktruck 06-05-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrumcap (Post 424916)
It's probably within a half second of the Hemi and will likely feel faster off the line. Anyway, will all the other benefits that come with a diesel, who cares? This is a 5000+ pound SUV- not a performance car. If 0-60 is important to you, you chose the wrong vehicle.

hehehe - the speed just adds to the overall package of a vehicle.

The diesel will probably cost a lot more to buy which will negate any fuel mileage improvement.

What other benefits are there? The rest of the vehicle will fall apart before the life of the gasser or diesel is up. Maintenance of the hemi or the diesel will be close. Torque and towing are close. Mods will be available for both and probably keep the power close.

I love diesel's in trucks that need to tow 1ty billion lbs. but don't see the benefit in anything else. If the initial price was the same it would be better but there is usually a big gap in price.

ENFORCER 06-05-2011 09:14 PM

In Australia they are saying the CRD will be the same price as the Hemi. This si the price I signed with, so I think it will be the same in other countries.
The return on the initial price should be justified as the price of fuel in general is increasing. You should also have a better resale on a diesel due to the fuel economy.

77rednecktruck 06-05-2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 425768)
In Australia they are saying the CRD will be the same price as the Hemi. This si the price I signed with, so I think it will be the same in other countries.
The return on the initial price should be justified as the price of fuel in general is increasing. You should also have a better resale on a diesel due to the fuel economy.

Here in the USA, the price of a diesel on trucks is at least a $7000 premium. My brother just got a Ford F-250 and the diesel option was $8500 over the 6.2L gasser.

I love diesel's but don't see the point in having one in a Jeep with the Hemi available. It's kind of redundant IMO.

ENFORCER 06-05-2011 09:40 PM

You are kidding, the Hemi is a very thirsty motor and will be lucky to get under 20mpg on the highways. The CRD will get over 30mpg. If they both cost the same, then it will be crazy to get the Hemi over the CRD. The CRD is also more responsive to tuning, so a simple piggyback or flash tune should bring the performance up to Hemi levels while using 50% less fuel.

Marlin 06-05-2011 09:43 PM

^^^ the above discussion only highlights the differences in motoring tastes and requirements around the world.

I can understand the argument for diesel here in australia, but I remain unconvinced for my personal requirements.

Red G8R 06-07-2011 12:00 PM

Environmentally, the new clean diesels produce less emissions than gas engines. Add that to better mileage and it seems a winner.

The US just needs to lower the cost of diesel and increase it's availability.
Canada has gone that route, diesel here costs less than regular gas (about 10 cents/liter less today) and readily available at almost all stations.

I read that the diesel versions of MB 350ML and VW Touareg account for 60% of their sales here in Ontario.

ENFORCER 06-07-2011 11:35 PM

In Australia the Diesel is about 10-15c p/l more than petrol, but the savings in fuel economy balance it up over time. We also see large fluctuations in the price of Petrol, where Diesel is stable. I will expect the takeup of CRD models in the EU in the 80-90% mark, as petrol is well over $2 p/l.

Spentan 06-22-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 427129)
In Australia the Diesel is about 10-15c p/l more than petrol, but the savings in fuel economy balance it up over time. We also see large fluctuations in the price of Petrol, where Diesel is stable. I will expect the takeup of CRD models in the EU in the 80-90% mark, as petrol is well over $2 p/l.

I spent a lot of time considering the diesel, but I finally went for the Hemi for my overland. Having always had V8 Petrol Engines, (apart from my first car which was a V6), I don't think I'm ready to dive into the diesel world yet (although I do like the twin-turbo BMW diesels. :P