Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   K&N Cone Filter, Always Cleaning it!!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/k-and-n-cone-filter-always-cleaning-it-2368.html)

TimmyB 08-30-2009 01:38 PM

K&N Cone Filter, Always Cleaning it!!!

Today makes the 4th time I have had a filthy K&N filter and im cleaning it since I installed the CAI back in December. I have noticed my MPG's have dropped in the past two weeks and im assuming its from the dirty filter. anyone else have to clean there's so much?

Scottina06 08-30-2009 01:48 PM

Re: K&N Cone Filter, Always Cleaning it!!!

It could be the area you live in. Is there a lot of construction where you live, work or play? You should only have to clean it about once a year. Some people claim a little bit of dirt help with filtering...but who knows. I'm not real high on the K&N cone filters. I like the dry type filter better. JMO though.....

blackpepper 08-30-2009 02:37 PM

buy a dryflow filter like AEM makes.. jmo, too.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

They sell cleaning kits too and I've cleaned mine once since I've had it (1-3/4 years)

suzieque 08-30-2009 02:47 PM

I find I have to clean my k&n twice a year.

I also started to re-lube it in between cleaning as the oil seems to evap over time.

I guess it depends on how much you drive and where you drive.

robpp 08-30-2009 02:55 PM

get a dry charger. on my XJ I was cleaning twice a year too. drycharger, now clean every other year!

NHWK05 08-30-2009 03:25 PM

You live in Mass, mass is dirty. Thats why.

LOL J/K

AcidCold 08-30-2009 08:48 PM

Got rid of my dirt magnet and bought a Amsoil dry filter, the best by far.

Scottina06 08-30-2009 08:50 PM

uh...uh...uh.....I want an amsoil dry for my Bwoody. Do you have a hood up Carlo?

TimmyB 08-31-2009 04:19 AM

seems im always driving thru construction on highways, and visit construction sites daily for work. The dirt was just clumping off down the sink when was washing it. That and bugs. Guess dry chargers the way to go.

NHWK05 08-31-2009 06:19 AM

I would go back to the K&N website and get your self a dry charger cover for it.

Since you bought the whole kit you prolly dont want to spend the $ on a new filter of a different brand, So if you at least do a dry charger filter cover it should help out a bit.

When i get my Bwoody Intake, If it comes with a K&N i am going to use the AFE Dry filter that i have now on it. If that wont fit i might try that Amsoil filter acid speaks of.

WBSRT 08-31-2009 08:19 AM

Yeah I agree get a dry charger.

Scottina06 08-31-2009 03:13 PM

def. the enviroment you live in. My K&N intake has been on for a coiuple months and it doesnt even look dirty yet