Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Locked out of the car! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/locked-out-of-the-car-23735.html)

bigpanda 05-28-2011 01:33 AM

Locked out of the car!

I went to a pay parking and the security told me to leave the key in the car so they can move the car if necessary.

I came back half an hour later and he didn't look good. He said my car is locked up, so they couldn't move my car.

When that guy told me to leave the key in it, I put it in driver side door handle. Then I just closed the door with key in the car. So, how come the car is locked???:confused:

I tried to figure it out and here is my conclusion.

When I put the key in door handle, the car probably misrecognized the key is with me outside. So, when I closed the door using door handle, it locked. Stupid...:mad:

I noticed WK2 has had some key issues and I guess I found another one.

Technosavant 05-28-2011 10:32 AM

Re: Locked out of the car!

That would be a good time to pull the "emergency key" out of the fob. That way you can get back into the vehicle.

These electronic fobs aren't foolproof, and it sounds like you have hit on a situation where we'd be best to leave the thing in the console.

AAAA 05-28-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpanda (Post 421686)
I went to a pay parking and the security told me to leave the key in the car so they can move the car if necessary.

I came back half an hour later and he didn't look good. He said my car is locked up, so they couldn't move my car.

When that guy told me to leave the key in it, I put it in driver side door handle. Then I just closed the door with key in the car. So, how come the car is locked???:confused:

I tried to figure it out and here is my conclusion.

When I put the key in door handle, the car probably misrecognized the key is with me outside. So, when I closed the door using door handle, it locked. Stupid...:mad:

I noticed WK2 has had some key issues and I guess I found another one.

So if you are correct, why could you not just grap the handle to unlock?

shamus 05-28-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 421728)
That would be a good time to pull the "emergency key" out of the fob. That way you can get back into the vehicle.

These electronic fobs aren't foolproof, and it sounds like you have hit on a situation where we'd be best to leave the thing in the console.

good idea... pull the key out (which stays attached to your key chain) and throw the fob in a cup holder.

bigpanda 05-28-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 421728)

Good idea. My other cars didn't have this problem, so I didn't think this would be any issue.

bigpanda 05-28-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 421767)
So if you are correct, why could you not just grap the handle to unlock?

After I came back to the parking lot, I tried but it wouldn't unlock.

mjw930 06-01-2011 01:43 PM

That's why I pull the start button out and use the FOB as a key whenever I think I might need to have someone else move the car (Car Wash, Valet, Parking Lot, etc.).

CherokeeGuy 06-10-2011 04:40 AM

I separate the fob from the emergency key all the time. Its much easier to carry the fob when I'm at dinner or a place I don't need my keys.

On the flip side....when an attendant takes the car, I only give him the fob, and take the house keys with me, since my wife is nervous about attendants having access to my keys. But when she's with me, the huge key ring goes in her purse...so again, very convenient for me :)