Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Transmission Overheated? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/transmission-overheated-23740.html)

bsw989 05-28-2011 10:11 AM

Transmission Overheated?

3 Attachment(s)
I have a 2005 WK with the 4.7 and while driving last night had a light come on the dash that read something along the lines of "Transmission Temperature too High" or "Transmission Overheat". Can't remember exactly what it said because it went away within a matter of seconds. Anyway, I was within a few miles of home and when I got there I heard a dripping onto a hot object, didn't look into any further since it was late. Woke up this morning and checked the trans dipstick and it's actually reading very full, probably overfull to be honest. I looked around and the only place I saw with any residue on it is in the pictures below. Any help on why the overheat light came on with the fluid so high, or info on what the residue in the engine is is appreciated. Thanks!

mjl2610 05-28-2011 10:20 AM

Re: Transmission Overheated?

Looks like you have some issues with the lines for the transmission cooler. I had both of mine replaced not too long ago because one of them was leaking. My paperwork showed about 170.00 bucks for a replacement and top off of fluid, but that was under warranty through the dealer.

mjl2610 05-28-2011 11:34 AM

Oh and by the way, the problem is usually with the connection that is to the radiator. Best thing to do in your case check first all the lines and the transmission pan to make sure there are no addtl' leaks around there. If those two lines are your only problem, just spend the money and replace them or take it to the dealer. No use letting it ride and then possibly damaging the trans.

bsw989 05-28-2011 12:45 PM

Appears you are correct. I'm hoping to take care of it tomorrow or Monday, depending on parts. Could these lines possibly be replaced with brake lines and clamps for a cheaper fix or are the flex hoses with special fittings the only way to go? It seems like that might be something that I wouldn't be able to pick up off the shelf at Franks.

Frango100 05-28-2011 01:52 PM

Sounds strange that you have a leak and that the trans level is too high. Did you check the level with the engine running? Did you check for any evidence of cooling liquid into the trans fluid?
Regarding the lines, i think that only the original lines will do.

mjl2610 05-28-2011 06:24 PM

You are going to want the OEM replacement lines from Chrysler.

mjl2610 06-02-2011 02:16 PM

Any update on this from the OP?

bsw989 06-02-2011 08:18 PM

I've got tomorrow off work so I'll be crawling underneath in the A.M. Sucked it up and drove the F150 all week. I'll post when it's all said and done. Anyone know if there's a write up on this in the how-to or should I take some photos and make one?

bsw989 06-21-2011 05:53 PM

Update. I talked to a few dealers and the asking price for the new trans cooler lines is in the 45-55 dollar range. I also talked to a guy at AAMCO who claimed they would do it for around 160 bucks. Sounded like a fine deal, but after crawling around under the jeep I decided I could do it myself much more cheaply. The hoses themselves are quite long and snaked into the undercarriage quite cleanly, so I really didn't have any desire to replace the whole line. The only part leaking appeared to be the rubber hoses pictured above, so I ended up cutting out both rubber sections, purchased some 11/32 I.D. crankcase ventilation tubing at Advanced, and hose clamped it into place. So far so good after about 100 miles, cost me 11 dollars.

Frango100 06-21-2011 06:39 PM

Not sure if this is a good solution. I would prefer to spend the 45-50 bucks with original lines. If one of the hoses gets loose, you will loose all transmission fluid and if this happens without knowing, you could ruin your whole tranny, or at least be stuck (and that normally happens in the middle of nowhere). The hose can withstand engine oil, but is it also tranny fluid proof?

lll2for3lll 06-21-2011 07:02 PM

You have the 2005 like I do. It could be condensation leaking into the transmission which is common for the 2005 model.

There is a TSB for it.

Water leaks in there mixing with the trans fluid causing it to operate at high temps and purge from the grommet seal.

bsw989 06-22-2011 04:14 PM

You're absolutely right, there is potential for failure of the lines but the 11/32 ID is very tight on the old tubing and the hose clamps are added protection. The hose is rated for 20-30 lbs of pressure and over 250 degrees F so the connection would be a bigger concern than hose failure in my opinion. I'm confident in my connections and check under the hood regularly where I'm sure it would start leaking long before the hose would come completely off. But I agree, the OEM lines are how it SHOULD be done.

I'll have to look into that TSB, I had no idea there was an recurring issue.