Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   HID Fog Lights Problem (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/hid-fog-lights-problem-23755.html)

sincere759 05-28-2011 07:07 PM

HID Fog Lights Problem

Ok so i have a HID conversion kit that a sound shop installed for me almost 7 months ago. I got both the headlight and fogs changed to 8000k HIDs. The headlights have been working fine. Its the fog lights that give me problems. Every month or 2 one of my fog lights go out, and they have to replace the bulb. They have replaced both the ballast and the bulb in both fog lights and checked wiring as well as relay. Also they "upgraded" me to a better HID kit (Maxcar r HID) but a day later one of the bulbs just went out yet again. Im baffled and so are they. my WK didnt come wit fogs, so this was an add on. i got factory housings from jeep for the fog lights and had them do a kit with them. If any one has had this problem or wanna try and throw a solution out there be my guest. I mean im not coming out of pocket for them because thru shop they are under warranty but i feel bad for these guys.

Scottina06 05-28-2011 07:12 PM

Re: HID Fog Lights Problem

add the oem foglight stalk in the interior and the relay and 20 amp fuse. Then have a dealer flash the fogs on starscan. Then connect the hid fogs.

sincere759 05-28-2011 07:15 PM

ok, thats an ideal. i didnt want them touching my headlight wiring to connect fogs (prev bad exp) so i had them run a new aftermarket switch and rocker. where would i get the stalk from Scott?

robpp 05-28-2011 07:15 PM

my bet is the setup cant handle the 14.4 v it throws at the lights/

suggest they put a 2 dollar voltage regulator on the power side of each lamp limiting the juice to 12v........like this

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062600

i know for a fact the wk sends 14.4 or more when its running to most of the lights.

they are also known to EAT tail bulbs for lunch due to the same reason.

robpp 05-28-2011 07:17 PM

i got it......the new setup cant handle the voltage; do like scott says and you wiill have enough power to run the HIDs.

sincere759 05-28-2011 07:24 PM

ok so im looking for an oem fog light stalk and cant find one, is this only something you can get from the dealer?

vstone 05-28-2011 07:27 PM

I have a 30 dollar kit from ebay that iv ran on 3 vehicles and 3 motorcycles. works perfect. same setup as yours, relay harness and a led switch in my lil compartment near my peddle adjustment. I would think the relay is wrong. but Robb and Scott know their shit.. so take their advice and run.. But I dont have an issue with the factory setup other then paying $60 bucks for startscan tool activation.

robpp 05-28-2011 07:27 PM

dealer only; or salvage

vstone 05-28-2011 07:28 PM

Robb/Scott, when you add the new Stalk with fogs most have the switch position for Auto lights.. What else is needed for the Auto lights? Mirror with Sensor?

robpp 05-29-2011 06:26 AM

the light sensor is in the dash top; about center right where the dash meets the glass/ IDK if you could enable it just saying where the sensor is/

05WK 05-29-2011 10:16 AM

You can find the stalk from rockauto.com ~$50. I plan to do the same soon. the wiring harness is already there for the fog light housing. 100% PnP w/ dealer starscan to activate the fog controls. price differs on that depending on the mood of the service tech that day.

You need to get the stalk that has fogs W/O auto lights since you do NOT have the auto light sensor.

sincere759 05-29-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05WK (Post 422009)
You can find the stalk from rockauto.com ~$50. I plan to do the same soon. the wiring harness is already there for the fog light housing. 100% PnP w/ dealer starscan to activate the fog controls. price differs on that depending on the mood of the service tech that day.

You need to get the stalk that has fogs W/O auto lights since you do NOT have the auto light sensor.

Thanx for this, but do you know the difference between the standard parts and the oe pro?