Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Grease from one CV Joint ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/grease-from-one-cv-joint-23812.html)

vikingdave 05-30-2011 01:01 PM

Grease from one CV Joint ?
 
I was inspecting my CV joints on my three month old 2011 Grand Cherokee today. Seven of the eight of them looked great, but the front one on the drivers side closest to the differential has spewed quite a bit of grease around. The boot, and the seal both look fine so I'm not sure if maybe it was just over-packed or not.

I'm wondering if I should peel it back and re-pack it or not, but I don't want to contaminate the grease at all. Has anyone else seen this happen ?

RageOfFury 05-30-2011 01:49 PM

Re: Grease from one CV Joint ?
 
If it looks odd, have the dealer look at it. That way if there is indeed something wrong, they can fix it under warranty.

P.S. The owner's manual states to have all CV joints and suspension components inspected (by the dealer) once a year.

Jpjr 05-30-2011 05:38 PM

Re: Grease from one CV Joint ?
 
my two cents -

if the boot is not cracked or damaged it is perfectly fine. the only thing to do would be to check the clamp(s) that secure the boot to make sure they are not loose.

as stated above, the easiest solution is to take it to the dealer for free. remember... there is no nobility in doing work yourself that you paid money up front to have done by the dealer. packing boots can be a messy job and if they are CV they usually require that special blue goop and not typical bearing grease.

vikingdave 05-30-2011 10:03 PM

Re: Grease from one CV Joint ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpjr (Post 422502)
my two cents -

if the boot is not cracked or damaged it is perfectly fine. the only thing to do would be to check the clamp(s) that secure the boot to make sure they are not loose.

as stated above, the easiest solution is to take it to the dealer for free. remember... there is no nobility in doing work yourself that you paid money up front to have done by the dealer. packing boots can be a messy job and if they are CV they usually require that special blue goop and not typical bearing grease.

I agree, but my problem is that I know I'll do it right, without getting any dirt into the joint. Most dealerships are pretty challenged just to air your tires up properly, which is quite a bit easier than something like this. I have major trust issues with Jeep dealerships, my hope is to never have to take it to one for anything.

Jpjr 06-01-2011 10:42 AM

Re: Grease from one CV Joint ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vikingdave (Post 422589)
I agree, but my problem is that I know I'll do it right, without getting any dirt into the joint. Most dealerships are pretty challenged just to air your tires up properly, which is quite a bit easier than something like this. I have major trust issues with Jeep dealerships, my hope is to never have to take it to one for anything.


if it makes you feel any better... they will probably just replace the entire axle/shaft rather than exert the skill and energy necessary to repack the boot lol.

i see where you are coming from and i used to think the same way. i never went to the doctor either because i never trusted them and then one day i woke up and realized how many thousands of dollars i have spent on health insurance. same with a warranty.

Jeeters 06-01-2011 11:16 AM

Re: Grease from one CV Joint ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpjr (Post 423211)
if it makes you feel any better... they will probably just replace the entire axle/shaft rather than exert the skill and energy necessary to repack the boot lol.

Definitely. I had one of the boots go bad on my Jeep Liberty's front drive shaft a couple months ago. Chrysler just wanted to replace the whole shaft. A nice quick job for them - unbolt and drop the old one out, then slot in the replacement and torque everything up. I was told a 45 minute job which I easily believed after I got a hold of the relevant pages in the service manual.

A dealership is not going to to mess around repacking grease and and crimping rubber clamps and whatnot. They're not going to waste, say, 2 or 3 hours of time that gets them nothing but only labor rate to take out the bad shaft, replace/repack the boot, then re-install the shaft. And then they'd have to guarantee that the boot was repacked and reclamped correctly.

They'd rather charge, say $500 plus an hour labor to just quickly replace the whole thing and then move on to the next profit making job. And the warranty that comes with the new driveshaft is backed by Chrysler's wallet, not their wallet.

Technosavant 06-01-2011 11:40 AM

Re: Grease from one CV Joint ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeters (Post 423219)
A dealership is not going to to mess around repacking grease and and crimping rubber clamps and whatnot. They're not going to waste, say, 2 or 3 hours of time that gets them nothing but only labor rate to take out the bad shaft, replace/repack the boot, then re-install the shaft. And then they'd have to guarantee that the boot was repacked and reclamped correctly.

They'd rather charge, say $500 plus an hour labor to just quickly replace the whole thing and then move on to the next profit making job. And the warranty that comes with the new driveshaft is backed by Chrysler's wallet, not their wallet.

Exactly. Repacking CV joints is nowhere near as good a fix as simply replacing the shaft; no worries about reduced life or anything. Given that Chrysler is paying for the job, why not just do it right?

If you can't trust your service department, then find one you can. I've generally found that the service departments I've used have been filled with decent and competent people. I'm sure these incompetent ones are out there, but nowadays that's where the dealer makes all the money. Having a bad service department is a great way to go out of business as your customers leave for someplace that has a good one.

vikingdave 06-09-2011 04:55 PM

Re: Grease from one CV Joint ?
 
I decided to take it to my local Jeep dealer today. They were actually really good about it. After inspecting it and seeing the grease that had been spewed out from it they just ordered a whole new shaft assembly for it. I think in the long run having them replace it was my best option, it should be getting installed sometime next week. I have to say that the whole dealer experience was much more positive than what I was expecting. I thought that I would have to argue with them about it since the boot looks fine. They suspect that the seal is just is failing after it heats up.

Jeeters 06-09-2011 07:03 PM

Re: Grease from one CV Joint ?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vikingdave (Post 428143)
I thought that I would have to argue with them about it since the boot looks fine.

Nah, when it comes to warranty work, it's in the dealer's best interest to try and side with the customer. That way, they can do the work, and bill the manufacturer for the labor and parts. If they try and refuse to do the work, then they're turning down 'free' money.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community