Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Performance Mods - need recommendations (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/performance-mods-need-recommendations-23823.html)

statlanta 05-30-2011 05:47 PM

Performance Mods - need recommendations

I love my new Jeep, she's a beauty, but I'm a little disappointed in the acceleration/throttle response. For such a big gas guzzling engine, I kind of expect a little more. I'm looking for suggestions. I know tuners are not available yet, but let's assume they will be out later this year. I'm not going to the track or anything, and not expecting miracles, I just want it to feel like the X5 4.8 I test drove (well maybe that would be a miracle) What do you guys suggest? Tuner, CAI, Exhaust, etc??? I don't want to do anything that would hurt MPG, but if I had to switch to 93 octane I'm ok with that. I'm not looking to squeeze out every last HP and make it sound like a hot rod, I just want to reasonably improve performance, best bang for the buck. Any suggestions guys? It's the 2011 Grand Cherokee 4X4 5.7 Hemi.

bigpanda 05-30-2011 07:24 PM

Re: Performance Mods - need recommendations

I know there are more toys out there for Hemi but without hurting MPG?... Hmmm.

I wanted Hemi but not available here. But if I were you, I would start with CAI+mapping+exhaust. If you still want more, then move to blower. Then you gotta think about warranty issue.

Escape 05-30-2011 10:56 PM

Seeing how there is no tuner yet the only thing you can do is make it breath easier and run cooler.

Intake, exhaust and 180 thermostat.

Maybe put it on a diet and loose some of the extra weight on the Jeep. Remove spare tire and get a patch kit...ect.

statlanta 06-01-2011 01:18 PM

Thanks guys. Which of the three- tuner (when one is available), intake, or exhaust, will make the most noticeable difference in performance? Thanks.

ekaz 06-01-2011 01:51 PM

Tuner most likely. A custom CMR tune (Diablo) will generally give a 15HP (give or take a few HP) gain by itself. A cai and 18- tstat plus the tune will probably give you most gain with the smallest loss of MPG. A good tuner can also optimize your tune for 87 or 89 octane gas.

2011hemigc4me 06-01-2011 07:13 PM

180 degree thermostat----anyone try this on a wk2

wardy 11-30-2011 05:39 AM

What is a 180 degree thermostat?

GroupW 11-30-2011 09:20 AM

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you do performance mods it will effect MPG. Also, you will be voiding your warranty in many cases; especially if you tune the engine. You may want to consider adding a K&N high flow air filter. Just my .02 cents.

Scottina06 11-30-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardy (Post 524565)
What is a 180 degree thermostat?

the thermostat controls the flow of coolant through the motor limiting the temp of the motor to the tstats set temp. The stock tstat is probably 195 degree or thereabout. A 180 stat would allow the motor to run cooler and in theory run better.

brianm929 12-01-2011 07:01 PM

Do they come stock with a 195 thermostat for emission reasons?

nek121328 12-01-2011 09:29 PM

Just remember, you can reduce the engine temp, but not the combustion temp that's created by a tuner setup.

MoxX 12-01-2011 11:01 PM

so....be patient with me guys and tell me...in this part of the world (UAE), temperature climbs up to and more than 50C in the summer, would the 180 thermostat be of any use to us??? i mean, will it help reduce the engine temperature, thus, increase performance or whatever???