Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Wk2 2K11, or wait? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/wk2-2k11-or-wait-23838.html)

rovinrail 05-31-2011 12:57 AM

Wk2 2K11, or wait?

Hi everyone, short-time listener, definitely first-time caller, and I've got a small dilemma...

Basically, I'm looking at a fully-loaded 2K11 Overland-- Dark Charcoal with saddle interior, V8, ACC, etc.

The basic question is--- should I wait for the 2012? If I grab the 2K11, it's coming off the boat around the end of June (I'm over in Europe). If the line starts in July, even if I'm early in the line, I'm presuming 4-5 months (averge wait, plus 1 month transit to here).

The main difference (besides perhaps minor changes in pricing?) appears to be the 6 vs. 5-speed transmission, from what I have picked up in the forum here. Are there other changes/differences that make the wait worth it? How much difference would a non-lead-foot like me see in gas mileage with a 6-speed tied to it?:confused:

Thanks for your input-- there's some really good traffic in this place.

netcoolery 05-31-2011 02:46 AM

Re: Wk2 2K11, or wait?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovinrail (Post 422646)
Hi everyone, short-time listener, definitely first-time caller, and I've got a small dilemma...

Basically, I'm looking at a fully-loaded 2K11 Overland-- Dark Charcoal with saddle interior, V8, ACC, etc.

The basic question is--- should I wait for the 2012? If I grab the 2K11, it's coming off the boat around the end of June (I'm over in Europe). If the line starts in July, even if I'm early in the line, I'm presuming 4-5 months (averge wait, plus 1 month transit to here).

The main difference (besides perhaps minor changes in pricing?) appears to be the 6 vs. 5-speed transmission, from what I have picked up in the forum here. Are there other changes/differences that make the wait worth it? How much difference would a non-lead-foot like me see in gas mileage with a 6-speed tied to it?:confused:

Thanks for your input-- there's some really good traffic in this place.

Well one thing to consider is if you like the Dark Charcoal color then you'll want to grab that 2011 since Milous' information does not show that color being available for 2012.

Personally, I'd grab it. Why wait 4-5 more months for substantially the same vehicle?

And .. oh yeah ... soon you too can be grinning ear to ear like I am now (having just come back from a trip in the mountains with my new Wk2 :D)

rovinrail 05-31-2011 03:19 AM

I'm not so tied into the color-- my first preference was black/black... not so sure about the saddle (there aren't any in my area with that color to actually see it).

More worried, though, about getting buyer's remorse, particularly if the 6-speed would be a big enough improvement over the 5-speed.

But, I was certainly doing enough grinning even with just the Limited in a test drive...

Andrew Klossner 05-31-2011 02:59 PM

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. I bought my jeep off a lot a week after I decided on it. I didn't get the ACC I wanted, but I get to play in a jeep this summer instead of drool over a glossy brochure.

Jpjr 05-31-2011 03:50 PM

At this point in the year I would go for a discounted 2011 or wait for 2012. The decision would be easy (2012) except that essentially nothing has changed so you are going to get the same product you could get today.

Your decision is coming down to model year depreciation vs enjoying a new vehicle for the summer.

Thrumcap 06-01-2011 07:36 AM

Latest news (or rumored news) is that the 6 speed is for the 2012 model year which would be a significant difference to me. Now bring the diesel and I am on board. :thumbsup:
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...peed-automatic

Technosavant 06-01-2011 11:47 AM

Right now, I'd probably wait for the 2012 with the new transmission. Maybe it would be a 4-5 month wait, maybe not. It just depends on whether you think it's going to be a big deal.

rovinrail 06-01-2011 12:06 PM

Thanks-- over here (Military Sales), I don't have the option to haggle on a discount, so it's a fairly limited discounting option on the 2011. So it will have to boil down to a choice of the model year dep-- but with an extra summer to enjoy-- or waiting for the extra year, but with a slightly boosted price. If the general consensus of the experts is that it's worth waiting for the changes, then I'll probably tackle that route.