Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Overland sharp steering wheel plastic? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/overland-sharp-steering-wheel-plastic-23839.html)

rb3wreath 05-31-2011 01:09 AM

Overland sharp steering wheel plastic?

I'm not sure how to describe this, but today I test drove another Overland (was checking to see if a V6 would be adequate for me...decided yes) and I noticed that the steering wheel has a sharp piece of plastic on both sides that I hadn't noticed before.

Basically it's where the back of the wheel meets up with the front right in the wedge where the wood part of the wheel ends. The back piece of plastic seems to stick up too high and is sharp.

Anyone else noticed this on an Overland? I wonder what could be done to fix it...dremel tool project?

rovinrail 05-31-2011 01:24 AM

Re: Overland sharp steering wheel plastic?

I was test-driving a Limited the other day-- If you're talking about what I think you are, there's some paddles back there for manual shifting, maybe some other features (i didn't figure out all of the toys). Like the quadra-lift, I presume if you don't have whatever feature, they just cover it with a plastic piece.

MikeD 05-31-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rovinrail (Post 422650)
I was test-driving a Limited the other day-- If you're talking about what I think you are, there's some paddles back there for manual shifting, maybe some other features (i didn't figure out all of the toys). Like the quadra-lift, I presume if you don't have whatever feature, they just cover it with a plastic piece.

Those aren't paddles for shifting, they are buttons for the radio. I've noticed the sharp edges as well and thought about trimming them but don't want to make it look worse.

dobiegillis 05-31-2011 07:13 PM

This is my biggest disappointment with the otherwise excellent overland interior. The fitment between the front and rear pieces of plastic on the center of the steering wheel is very poor. My summit has sharp edges right where my thumbs grasp the wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions near the wonderful wood and leather on the actual wheel. I'm having to teach myself to hold the wheel differently so as to avoid these sharp edges. I do not have a problem with the plastic near the radio buttons...they are fine.

rb3wreath 05-31-2011 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Exactly right. It's right where the darker plastic on the backside "attaches" to the front shiny plastic shown in my attached picture. It pokes up and I too had to hold the steering wheel differently yesterday. Normally this is where I like to quickly spin the wheel when backing up/etc. and need to turn the wheel quickly. It pokes up and feels sharp!

jgc4ever 05-31-2011 11:52 PM

Anyone know if the Limited steering wheel has the same sharp sections behind the wheel on each side?

AAAA 06-01-2011 02:44 PM

I have Ltd. and I think I had the same thing. I keep a piece of emery paper in the car as I have had this problem on my fleet vehicles in the past. No longer an issue.

xtex404 06-01-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 422924)
Those aren't paddles for shifting, they are buttons for the radio. I've noticed the sharp edges as well and thought about trimming them but don't want to make it look worse.

Yup. Those edges suck, and once you notice them, it's hard to keep your fingers from rubbing on them.

Ratchet 06-05-2011 02:00 PM

I can't speak for the rest of the Limited owners, but mine does. Pondering breaking out the Dremel and polishing them down a bit.

RavingStylez 06-08-2011 10:36 AM

I filed mine down a bit with a hand file.. Those sharp edges were driving me nuts. i like to turn using my fingers in that exact spot so those sharp edges had to go

rb3wreath 06-08-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavingStylez (Post 427284)
I filed mine down a bit with a hand file.. Those sharp edges were driving me nuts. i like to turn using my fingers in that exact spot so those sharp edges had to go

I'm assuming that feels much better. How'd it end up looking? Pics?

ctherc 06-24-2011 11:55 AM

I've got the same problem on my Limited.