Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   A way to lock yourself out (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/a-way-to-lock-yourself-out-23846.html)

JoeSchmoe007 05-31-2011 10:00 AM

A way to lock yourself out

This was posted on another Jeep forum by member Curlyhash.

I tried this and it does allow to lock key fob in the car, so make sure you have another keyfob nearby or pull key from the keyfob or leave window open before trying:

Press the KeyFob lock button while sitting in the drivers seat with the driver door ajar. It locks all the doors. Then shut the door with the key fob still in the car. You have now locked your keyfob inside the car.

JoeSchmoe007 05-31-2011 10:27 AM

Re: A way to lock yourself out

Sorry for double-post - just found this member already posted this method here as well:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/is-this-method-of-locking-yourself-out-universal-23770.html

TurboDiesel 05-31-2011 06:54 PM

i dont get why you would lock the doors before u get outta the car
im so confused lol

robpp 05-31-2011 08:43 PM

itSOUNDS very similar to leaving your KEY in the car in the old days Joe. And then hitting the lock button and closing the door.

I dont THINK I WOULD BE SURPRISED if my Jeep did this!

MAYBE IM MISSING SOMETHING HERE........

what would you prefer it do, you push the lock button and it make the FOB fly out from wherever you have placed it in the Jeep and it goes into your pocket :lol:

or what Joe...tell me what you would EXPECT to happen in this situation you described. Please/

TurboDiesel 05-31-2011 09:32 PM

yea like should the car not lock by the fob if the fob is still in the car?

i dont see why u would ever need to lock the car from inside, thats why u have the fob...

SvenskaJeepGuy 05-31-2011 10:03 PM

:rolleyes:

JoeSchmoe007 06-01-2011 09:07 AM

If instead of locking the doors via keyfob you lock them via inside door lock button, then close the door - the doors will unlock.

I was kind of expecting the same behavior. However, now the fact that doors can be locked via keyfob as described in my OP makes sense to me.

mjw930 06-01-2011 09:45 AM

Just to sum all this "locking the FOB in the car" issues there are 3 ways to lock your car without using the "hidden" key, only ONE will allow you to lock the FOB inside. Learn this and you should never have an issue.

1. Press the lock button on the inside of the door and leave the FOB inside. The WK2 will sense the FOB is inside, unlock the vehicle and honk the horn 3 times letting you know it saved your ass.

2. Exit the vehicle and press the outside lock button on the door handle with the FOB inside the car. The WK2 will not lock the doors leading you to think the button is broken until you realize you screwed up and left your keys in the car.

3. Press the lock button on the FOB when your door is open, set the FOB down inside the car and exit the vehicle, closing the door. You have now locked your keys in the car!

Maybe Chrysler needs to issue a recall to correct situation #3 :tongueout:

Technosavant 06-01-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 423180)
Maybe Chrysler needs to issue a recall to correct situation #3 :tongueout:

I don't know, I think maybe the owners need to quit trying to lock their keys in the car! :p

I know, it's good to know the limitations of the system, but finding ways to subvert the vehicle's attempts to think on your behalf and then complaining because the designers didn't anticipate somebody standing on their head on a blue moon, leaving the fob in a lead box stashed behind the door panel, and locking the vehicle with the other fob is just getting silly.

The system tries to help you, but if you aren't going to help you, well, we can't do squat for you.

TurboDiesel 06-01-2011 06:42 PM

ohhhhhhh hahahahhahha i get it now
i was so confused as to why people keep trying to lock their keys in their car...

JoeSchmoe007 06-01-2011 07:01 PM

It's all in the name of science!

mjw930 06-02-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 423233)
I don't know, I think maybe the owners need to quit trying to lock their keys in the car! :p

I know, it's good to know the limitations of the system, but finding ways to subvert the vehicle's attempts to think on your behalf and then complaining because the designers didn't anticipate somebody standing on their head on a blue moon, leaving the fob in a lead box stashed behind the door panel, and locking the vehicle with the other fob is just getting silly.

The system tries to help you, but if you aren't going to help you, well, we can't do squat for you.

Hopefully you gathered from the emoticon I used I was just kidding about a recall? :thumbsup: