Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   QT-1 Off-Road Experience (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/qt-1-off-road-experience-23880.html)

AquaForester 06-01-2011 09:43 AM

QT-1 Off-Road Experience

Looking for people that have taken their QT-1 off-road to see what they've done and how it went. Especially interested if you have the Laredo X Stock 18" Tires. Thanks.

RageOfFury 06-01-2011 11:21 AM

Re: QT-1 Off-Road Experience

I have driven my QTI equipped Laredo with 17" rims + GoodYear Wrangler SilentArmor tires through snow covered farm fields (7-8" of snow), forest trails & gravel roads without issue.

QTI is a capable system, limited yes, but quite capable.

Tires are a very important part of the whole 4x4 system. I have been, honestly, blown away by how awesome the Wrangler SilentArmor tires are. I would have not driven through snow covered farm fields with the stock highway tires that's for sure.

AquaForester 06-01-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 423221)
I have driven my QTI equipped Laredo with 17" rims + GoodYear Wrangler SilentArmor tires through snow covered farm fields (7-8" of snow), forest trails & gravel roads without issue.

QTI is a capable system, limited yes, but quite capable.

Tires are a very important part of the whole 4x4 system. I have been, honestly, blown away by how awesome the Wrangler SilentArmor tires are. I would have not driven through snow covered farm fields with the stock highway tires that's for sure.

Thanks for sharing that. I noticed in your sig that you have a front axle skid plate. Did you put that on aftermarket or was that part of a jeep package.

RageOfFury 06-01-2011 01:21 PM

I installed the front axle skid plate myself. I decided to install it after seeing how vulnerable the oil pan is. This skid plate protects the front axle and oil pan. It's from mopar and is made especially for the WK2. Cost me around 100$CDN and took me 5-10 minutes to install it.

AquaForester 06-01-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 423297)
I installed the front axle skid plate myself. I decided to install it after seeing how vulnerable the oil pan is. This skid plate protects the front axle and oil pan. It's from mopar and is made especially for the WK2. Cost me around 100$CDN and took me 5-10 minutes to install it.

Good to know, thanks. So I guess the gas tank is fairly well protected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RageOfFury 06-01-2011 04:48 PM

If you plan on doing a lot of off-roading, then have all skid plates installed. Better safe than sorry ;)

AquaForester 06-02-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 423423)
If you plan on doing a lot of off-roading, then have all skid plates installed. Better safe than sorry ;)

Thanks! Anyone else want to share off-road experience with QT-1.

fingaz 02-25-2013 01:09 PM

I bought a WK with the QT1 about a year ago and haven't taken it off-road much but am looking to take it down the shore and drive on the beach this summer.

I was wondering how the QT1 does in sand. Anyone have any sand/beach experience?

AAAA 02-25-2013 01:17 PM

I do not have sand driving experience but have been out with others. QT1 will do fine. Once again the issue is suitable sand tires and lower tire pressure.