Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Boaty seasick ride.Need to change something (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/boaty-seasick-ride-need-to-change-something-23893.html)

Stinkypete 06-01-2011 01:33 PM

Boaty seasick ride.Need to change something

Hi again, anybody got ideas on what I can do to make my ride a little firmer?
I do most (if not all) of my driving on the road and it has a "boaty, wallowy, bouncy, type of ride. So is there anything I can change to make the driving a little bit more "solid". I don't drive like a nutter so It's not me honest guv. I just want it to feel a little more like it's not going to bounce off the road! Soft is the word I was looking for!:confused:

JeepMe 06-01-2011 02:52 PM

Re: Boaty seasick ride.Need to change something

How many miles are on your Jeep? Have the shocks ever been replaces?

I see you have a 2001 so I'm going to guess that it has a decent amount of miles (90k+). Also, since you're having a bouncy ride I'm also going to guess you haven't replaced the shocks. Most likely your shocks are bad and this is causing the bad ride. The first step would be to replace them.

If you have recently replaced them, you can buy a bigger swaybar to keep body roll down. That should get rid of a "boaty" roll on the Jeep.

Beyond that, I would say you need to get some stiffer shocks and/or springs.

dhillon09 06-01-2011 03:08 PM

Get the ADDCO rear swaybar first. That'll make the biggest change and its the easiest and cheapest out of the things you can change.

Then try some billstein shocks/eibach lowering springs with puck spacers to retain stock ride height. I'm in the process of overhauling my WJ's suspension (collecting parts right now). Keep an eye out on craigslist, sometimes you're lucky and find great deals

TJXJWJ 06-01-2011 09:14 PM

Mine disappeared with Bilstien HD's all the way around and Addco front and rear swaybars. Now I love on-ramps.

Stinkypete 06-02-2011 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepMe (Post 423373)
How many miles are on your Jeep? Have the shocks ever been replaces?

I see you have a 2001 so I'm going to guess that it has a decent amount of miles (90k+). Also, since you're having a bouncy ride I'm also going to guess you haven't replaced the shocks. Most likely your shocks are bad and this is causing the bad ride. The first step would be to replace them.

If you have recently replaced them, you can buy a bigger swaybar to keep body roll down. That should get rid of a "boaty" roll on the Jeep.

Beyond that, I would say you need to get some stiffer shocks and/or springs.

Wow, thanks, the Jeep only has 53k miles so no I wouldn't have thought anything has been touched since new. So if as in another answer to this the "swaybar" is cheaper to replace, rather than the shocks, would that be a better way to go or are the shocks a better bet?:)

Stinkypete 06-02-2011 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 423387)
Get the ADDCO rear swaybar first. That'll make the biggest change and its the easiest and cheapest out of the things you can change.

Then try some billstein shocks/eibach lowering springs with puck spacers to retain stock ride height. I'm in the process of overhauling my WJ's suspension (collecting parts right now). Keep an eye out on craigslist, sometimes you're lucky and find great deals

Ok, thanks for that, going to sound soooooo stupid now as I have only just got into this "work on your own vehicle" thing but Where is it? What is it? Is it easy to replace? Do I need any special tools, or would it be better to just ask someone to do it for me? Sorry for so many questions but I'm lovin' my Jeep and would love to be able to do the things you guys do on yours!:)

Stinkypete 06-02-2011 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhillon09 (Post 423387)

Thanks for that, would the problem be just the same as before if I just replace like for like, or are these billstein things superior to stock shocks, and I take it you have to then lower it back down to stock ride height after fitting the billsteins?:)

TJXJWJ 06-02-2011 07:02 AM

Bilstien shocks are superior to stock...far superior.

Think of it this way...

The shocks will help stiffen and firm up the ride when you hit a bump (up and down motion).

The sways will help stiffen up the ride when you're on a curve or taking a turn. The shocks will help here too...but this is mostly the sways.

Shocks will not affect ride height and are direct replacements. The only time ride height is affected is when you change springs or install spacers.

The rear swaybar is attached to your rear axle and to your swaybar end links. It's a large, U-shaped steel bar. Like this:

http://www.highhorseperformance.com/...os/2321-2T.jpg VERY simple installation with basic wrench set.

TJXJWJ 06-02-2011 07:03 AM

Here's some more good reading:
http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...highlight=sway

Stinkypete 06-02-2011 10:11 AM

Thanks, will try that first when I can afford it!

Frango100 06-02-2011 07:53 PM

The shocks are quite an important safety item on a car, besides making the ride more comfortable when in good shape. When they are worn, they will not (enough) dampen the vertical movements of the car and one or more wheels can loose contact with the ground, causing loose of control and/or a longer then normal braking distance. So i would first check them out (donīt know if you have a repairshop in your nabourhood where they electronically can test the functioning of the shocks on the car).

Stinkypete 06-03-2011 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 424178)
The shocks are quite an important safety item on a car, besides making the ride more comfortable when in good shape. When they are worn, they will not (enough) dampen the vertical movements of the car and one or more wheels can loose contact with the ground, causing loose of control and/or a longer then normal braking distance. So i would first check them out (donīt know if you have a repairshop in your nabourhood where they electronically can test the functioning of the shocks on the car).

Thanks for that too, I now have enough ammunition to convince the wife that the sway bar and the shocks need upgrading so she doesn't feel seasick in the passenger seat!
in our "neighbourhood", the local garages like to charge you for even looking at the car let alone actually carrying out a decent repair etc, so i shall be staying away from the sharks at the moment and rely on your expert and experienced opinions for now, so thank you.