Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Tint + Sunshade = Bad??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/tint-sunshade-bad-23908.html)

bobkbusch 06-01-2011 08:05 PM

Tint + Sunshade = Bad???
 
Took my JGC back to the tint installer today to get a few stubborn bubbles removed from the clear bra he installed a month ago. On a whim, I decided to get the windshield tinted with Llumar AIR Blue 80 ceramic tint...he made me a great deal.

I park at the airport often (sometimes for a week or more) and want to protect the leather dash as much as possible. So here's my question...any tint experts please chime in.

Would the combination of the tint, plus a sunshade, create too much thermal stress and perhaps result in a cracked windshield?

Here are the AIR Blue 80 specs:

Visible Light Transmittance: 78%
Total Solar Energy Rejected: 43%
Visible Light Reflected: 9%
Ultraviolet Rejected: 99.9 %
Infrared Transmission (1600 Nanometers): <11%
Infrared Transmission (1090 Nanometers): <17%

ENFORCER 06-02-2011 01:21 AM

Re: Tint + Sunshade = Bad???
 
I would doubt you will have a problem, as it will generally take a large change in Temp to get a thermal crack on automitive glass.
If the car was in the hot sun all day and you threw a bucket of iced water, then yes, but not in normal situations.

Deserthucker 06-02-2011 04:47 AM

Re: Tint + Sunshade = Bad???
 
↑ second that

TurboDiesel 06-02-2011 07:23 AM

Re: Tint + Sunshade = Bad???
 
i just wanna see pics of this windshield tint haha

mjw930 06-02-2011 07:30 AM

Re: Tint + Sunshade = Bad???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboDiesel (Post 423807)
i just wanna see pics of this windshield tint haha

I assume he's talking about a top strip tint.

TurboDiesel 06-02-2011 07:31 AM

Re: Tint + Sunshade = Bad???
 
oh...well then

bobkbusch 06-02-2011 07:49 AM

Re: Tint + Sunshade = Bad???
 
It is a full windshield tint job. I had never even thought about tinting the windshield until reading some other threads here. The Air Blue 80 has a very faint blue tint. Not worth a photo, because it is such a mimimal difference. I could tell a very slight difference in shade while driving, but I probably wouldn't have noticed if I was unaware of the tint.

I did notice two other things. First, it was substantially cooler on the dash, exactly what I was looking for! Secondly, if I wore my polarized sunglasses, it seemed to amplify the polarization effect when looking at other vehicle's windows, but I didn't notice any other differences.

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to use the sunshade when parked outside and keep my fingers crossed.

CPT2010 06-02-2011 10:05 AM

Re: Tint + Sunshade = Bad???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkbusch (Post 423581)

Would the combination of the tint, plus a sunshade, create too much thermal stress and perhaps result in a cracked windshield?

No silly

raider91e 06-02-2011 01:21 PM

Re: Tint + Sunshade = Bad???
 
I highly doubt it...the glass is highly resilient in heat. I wouldn't worry about it at all

TurboDiesel 06-02-2011 06:37 PM

Re: Tint + Sunshade = Bad???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkbusch (Post 423825)
It is a full windshield tint job. I had never even thought about tinting the windshield until reading some other threads here. The Air Blue 80 has a very faint blue tint. Not worth a photo, because it is such a mimimal difference. I could tell a very slight difference in shade while driving, but I probably wouldn't have noticed if I was unaware of the tint.

I did notice two other things. First, it was substantially cooler on the dash, exactly what I was looking for! Secondly, if I wore my polarized sunglasses, it seemed to amplify the polarization effect when looking at other vehicle's windows, but I didn't notice any other differences.

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to use the sunshade when parked outside and keep my fingers crossed.

how much is it?
doin it on the front 2 windows could help too
unless ofcourse ur aloud to use front window tint

bobkbusch 06-02-2011 09:07 PM

Re: Tint + Sunshade = Bad???
 
The front window tint was quoted at $100 as a standalone install, but the shop I use is always advertising some type of sale or package deal. I had him previously tint the front windows with Llumar 15% and also had clear bra installed. This time, I added the rear windows, including the flipper glass and the windshield using the Air Blue 80 on everything but the front windows (can't put tint over tint). I don't know what the windshield worked out to because of the package pricing.

I know from a previous thread, where I called Chrysler Cust Care and got an email response, the rear window tint already provides substantial UV/IR protection. However, I got a very good deal (repeat customer, plus package pricing) on the Air Blue 80, so I decided to try it and see if it makes a difference. I've only had the Air Blue for 24 hours, but today was near record heat in Colorado Springs for June 2, at 90 degrees and the Jeep was very cool with minimal air conditioning. Also, my son noticed how much cooler the wood portion of the steering wheel felt today, versus yesterday before having the tint installed (yes I let him drive, but only under close supervision!!!).

BTW, today while driving, I noticed that sometimes an asphalt road would look purple when looking through the windshield with polarized sunglasses (sunny day). If I used non-polarized, or no glasses the purple shade was not visible.

TurboDiesel 06-02-2011 10:26 PM

Re: Tint + Sunshade = Bad???
 
thats crazy man
i gotta check with some local companies to see if anyone provides this
damn being in Canada will probably not have it haha


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community