Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   xenon headlights retrofit (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/xenon-headlights-retrofit-23932.html)

1200RT-P 06-02-2011 12:53 PM

xenon headlights retrofit

I couldn't find a thread on the topic .... has anyone installed Limited (or above) xenon headlights on a Laredo?

Any other issues other than probably being prohibitively expensive? Ideas on cost?

The only thing I wish my Laredo came with that is didn't is these headlights.

Juan 06-02-2011 01:19 PM

Re: xenon headlights retrofit

I am thinking about doing the same thing, best price I can find is 332.35 per side. Let me know if you have found them anywhere for less.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

fljeepleo 06-02-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan (Post 423984)
I am thinking about doing the same thing, best price I can find is 332.35 per side. Let me know if you have found them anywhere for less.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

Wow, does that include everything needed for install? If that includes the entire mopar projector housing and lights thats not all that bad.

gtj105 06-02-2011 02:13 PM

I believe that just includes the headlights. You'd have to buy a Bi-Xenon kit.

Ive just been debating on throwing a HIDs kit from Xenondepot into the OEM housing. there are a couple of write ups in the DIY forum of people who have done this and seem to have good results. Id like some more sucess stories though.

fljeepleo 06-02-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtj105 (Post 424008)
I believe that just includes the headlights. You'd have to buy a Bi-Xenon kit.

Ive just been debating on throwing a HIDs kit from Xenondepot into the OEM housing. there are a couple of write ups in the DIY forum of people who have done this and seem to have good results. Id like some more sucess stories though.

I have installed those kits in three of my cars, the only one that looks good is the one with the projector housing. I haven't seen any on the road with the HID's in the halogen housings for the wk2 yet so I cant tell how it will look in real life. Some vehicles it works and some it doesn't. It might look good because the halogen housing is pretty small,, compared to F150's and others that blind everyone on the road. As long as you get a quality kit they should look good. I like the 55w kits, you cant beat the light output but you need a good housing to harness it. just my two cents.

1200RT-P 06-03-2011 10:34 AM

so I take it no one has swapped in OEM xenon headlights?

QCnCA 06-03-2011 12:44 PM

I'm waiting to do this swap myself.

I don't mind being a guinea pig but first I'll need to swing by the dealership and see if the connections are the same or similar enough where I can do the swap.

The main light should be no problem with an HID ballast etc.. and the turn signals should be no big deal. My only concern is the DRL in the HID housing when there is no DRL in the Halogen housing..

Any thoughts?

SixZeroFour 06-03-2011 02:33 PM

I can't imagine its a completely different harness for the ballast but you are right about the DRL's... Not sure how that would work.

nvfusa 06-07-2011 11:47 PM

I asked my dealer to do the bi-Xenon swap and they stated the harness on Limiteds and Overlands was totally different thus preventing the swap.

Scottina06 06-08-2011 01:00 AM

it can still be done. I was told the same thing and I now have 08 oem HID lamps on my 2006.

Tonyg41 07-01-2011 05:10 AM

I know this thread is a few weeks old, however I went to dealer by me to look into doing a headlight swap 2 weeks ago and he said a guy had them do it a few weeks before and the wires melted and they had to replace the wiring. I believe its true due to the philips ballast and ignitor set up that it draws more power overall. However I installed after market hids in the stock housing with no issues except its a tight fit in general, the way the top of the light housing is flat and the stock focusing of the housings really prevents glare to oncoming traffic. The beam only shoots about 20-30 feet infront of the truck and high beams still function the way they should and the HID'S do not turn off. I am very happy I installed them and no one has flashed there lights at me yet and I also had a family member drive the truck by me on road to see how glare was and I noticed no glare while they were heading toward me. Just thought I would give my information.

lll2for3lll 07-01-2011 05:53 AM

Well...if you don't want to purchase OEM projectors for $700-$800, you can bake the set you have in the oven.