Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Strange squeak (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/strange-squeak-23938.html)

Crestwood1001 06-02-2011 03:51 PM

Strange squeak

So every now and then while I'm driving the jeep starts squeaking, it squeaks according to the speed, slower equals less noise. This mainly happens after making a left turn and goes away after about a mile or two. Any ideas what needs to be lubed up?!

soontobesrt 06-02-2011 07:33 PM

Re: Strange squeak

Squeaking? Id replace the serpentine belt, usually the cause, if so its time to replace that badboy. Easy to do if you have long ratchet/socket set. Probably some writeups on here, otherwise you can google it for sure. You can save yourself few bucks and feel good about it too haha! Should only take you 30-45mins depending on skill level and pace etc. All you need to do is wrench on the tensioner which is the pulley with the hexhead sticking on it. Righty tighty, lefty loosey lol. Then the belt will come right off. Make sure you draw or remember the pattern though as it needs to go back on that way or you will have issues.

If that doesnt cure it then Id begin looking into your power steering pump. Check the rack for leaks, see if any fluid is dripping on the ground or if your steering is acting funny, hard to turn at all either way?

Also could be suspension bushings, lube all of those contacts if you want but they dont usually need it much. I think once every 30k and thats generous even. Those tend to crackle and pop more than squeak too but cant hurt to check. GL with the fix

Overboostin 06-02-2011 10:31 PM

Can you take a video of what the squeak sounds like?

Crestwood1001 06-02-2011 11:15 PM

Next time ill try but its random and pretty rare. It dosnt sound like a belt to me but ill check. It sounds almost like it does when you hit the wear tab on a set of break pads, if that helps....

Galaxie500 06-02-2011 11:51 PM

Is the squeak coming from inside/outside of the vehicle? My rear seat is squeaking (while nobody is sitting in it and not from any back seat activity:brows:). I found a TSB that says that some springs that go into the seats need to be replaced.

soontobesrt 06-03-2011 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 424320)
Next time ill try but its random and pretty rare. It dosnt sound like a belt to me but ill check. It sounds almost like it does when you hit the wear tab on a set of break pads, if that helps....

Check your pads? :confused:

Crestwood1001 06-03-2011 12:45 AM

Exterior, and I checked the pads but its not when breaking, its all the time, just sounds similar to that haha just so you guys get an idea. By no means a big deal, im just wondering what would randomly squeak every now and then for like 3 mins.

soontobesrt 06-03-2011 11:11 AM

Serpentine does that, usually goes away after early driving so if this is a random but repeating issue probably not that but still wouldn't rule that out.

Squeaking is generally suspension stuff. If you hear it at lower speed Id guess that but if you hear it while driving straight and at higher speed and/on flat ground than probably not suspension.

Maybe have dealer/mechanic take a look unless its not affecting your ride, sounds are something I never ignore, at least not for too long because next thing you know, your in a bad situation and something really goes and then you end up in trouble, GL with the diagnosis :)

Crestwood1001 06-03-2011 12:52 PM

I tried to get a video today, it did it a little coming home. Again, on and off and not real loud, couldnt hear it in the video though. If it keeps up ill have to get it to my mechanic.

52233 06-03-2011 02:19 PM

i had a squeak on my right side and it ended up being the right lower control arm , i poked a small hole in the rubber ( this is supposed to be nongreasable!) and the squeak went away but it took a week the the lubricant to work its way in. The sqeake has been gone for 6 months. My mechanic had to take the truck home for a couple of days to narrow it down. Drove me crazy but all is good.