Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   stuck with the front in the air (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/stuck-with-the-front-in-the-air-24025.html)

djcodered 06-04-2011 04:55 PM

stuck with the front in the air

Hey guys...we are trying to install the front struts and finally got one side done..but drivers side lower control ARM bolt won't budge! We have tried PB Blaster..NO GO! PLEASE HELP...ANY IDEAS?

robpp 06-04-2011 05:32 PM

Re: stuck with the front in the air

impact gun and more PB/ sorry to say

2005 WK 06-04-2011 06:20 PM

get a long breaker bar and keep working at it, theyre a pain but itll come out eventually, i had the same problem but a really long breaker bar helped out a ton. Good luck

yetjeep 06-04-2011 06:27 PM

Yep same happened to me use breaker bar and a metal tube put on end and give it all you got haha

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-04-2011 07:13 PM

i used a torch

4.whoa 06-04-2011 11:17 PM

X2 I had to use a torch, breaker bar,cheater, pb max, and an impact

djcodered 06-05-2011 01:01 PM

okay thank you guys! We have purchased a new impact wrench and an air hammer. Still working at it 3 hours today and about 7 hours yesterday. UGH!

Now I have another problem on top of it. We decided to work on rear while PB Blaster was setting, and the lock nut twisted! yes the metal literally twisted while trying to remove my lock lug nut. So now I can't remove the damn tire, or put the others back on.

Went to auto stores in area..you guessed it..nothing!!! They even said they are unique to the car so Chrysler probably won't be able to sell me one tomorrow!!! AYe aye aye!

2005 WK 06-05-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djcodered (Post 425476)
okay thank you guys! We have purchased a new impact wrench and an air hammer. Still working at it 3 hours today and about 7 hours yesterday. UGH!

Now I have another problem on top of it. We decided to work on rear while PB Blaster was setting, and the lock nut twisted! yes the metal literally twisted while trying to remove my lock lug nut. So now I can't remove the damn tire, or put the others back on.

Went to auto stores in area..you guessed it..nothing!!! They even said they are unique to the car so Chrysler probably won't be able to sell me one tomorrow!!! AYe aye aye!

I had a similar problem where i lost my lock lug key so i took a deep well impact socket thats just a hair bigger than the lug and wack it onto the lug with a hammer so its a really tight fit, then just get your breaker bar or impact gun and take it off, I would prefer to do it by hand but its your call. I didnt need the lock lugs so i replaced them with regular lugs. I hope this helps you out a little bit.

soontobesrt 06-05-2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djcodered (Post 425476)

Wait what happened to the lock? You were trying to remove it and you damaged the key pattern? Or was your key itself destroyed? Not sure I get what happened but there is always a simple fix for these kind of things. May require ruining a set of locks but they can be had for $30 or so new.

djcodered 06-06-2011 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soontobesrt (Post 425839)
Wait what happened to the lock? You were trying to remove it and you damaged the key pattern? Or was your key itself destroyed? Not sure I get what happened but there is always a simple fix for these kind of things. May require ruining a set of locks but they can be had for $30 or so new.

When trying to remove the lock nut the key pattern was damaged, which also means destroyed.

Thanks to all who posted on this, We did use a 7/8" regular socket, hammered it on tightly, and then using an impact wrench got the lock nut to come off. So we are good to go...and I am getting rid of the locking lug nuts!

As for the front lower clevis bolt...yeah nothing! We got it to move about 1/2 inch...but nothing more. So after 14hours total of trying we finished the lift and install of the bilsteins on the other 3, put the front driver's suspension back together and drove it up to a mechanic. Hopefully he can find a way to get it out.

Thanks guys!

djcodered 06-06-2011 12:03 PM

So as many of you may have guessed, mechanic can't get the bolt out, can't manage to install strut without un bolting the fork (clevis). He wants to completely change out the lower control arm! yeah $250 for the part plus labor! Boy did this cheap lift get expensive!!!

Gonna bring it home..and try to cut it or torch it. Sure hope PB Blaster isn't highly flammable we have to have a full can of it on there!:confused:

jlewissystem 06-06-2011 12:26 PM

FORK that Clevis bolt.......i hate that thing.....sounds like an STD:lol: "I got the Clevis"! Anyway.....i did mine without removing that, cuz it was a b1tch!! I just lowered the hub/arm low enough where i could push down on the strut, pivot the strut outward and pull it up and out. I actually did both fronts without taking off the lower strut mount. Maybe try that approach? Like you, i wasted (at least) 4 hours before moving on......ahhhhhh, the garage ;)