Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Wk will not start after river crossing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/wk-will-not-start-after-river-crossing-24027.html)

yetjeep 06-04-2011 05:49 PM

Wk will not start after river crossing

Hey guys so I just got my lift on and was going through a river crossing about 2 1/2 feet and it stalled in river and got it towed out in about 2mim and would not start after. Oralist to a guy and said try replacing the spark plugs and oil what would you guts recommend doing? Thanx

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-04-2011 07:17 PM

Re: Wk will not start after river crossing

try replacing the spark plugs and oil lol hopefully that is all you need

yetjeep 06-04-2011 07:48 PM

Ok yeah I'm going to try that and hope it works haha

lll2for3lll 06-04-2011 07:52 PM

Obviously something got wet. What do you hear when you turn the key?

Does it not turn at all?

Or does it sound like a engine with a flooded carburetor?

Frango100 06-04-2011 09:19 PM

Would not expect that new plugs will solve your problem. Does it still turn over normally (without any different noises) when you try to start? You can have water in one of the sensor connectors. Is there any fault code set?
But we saw already some other owners who just went with their cars through a big puddle of water on the road, the water was ingested into the intake, which caused a hydrolock in one or more cylinders. The final result was a broken piston rod and damaged engine block. I hope that this will not be in your case.

lll2for3lll 06-04-2011 09:21 PM

I'm thinking sensors.

Escape 06-04-2011 09:41 PM

Pull all sparkplugs and see if you can turn it over by hand with a wrench on the crank pulley. If it does is there any BAD noises? Drain all fluids and replace.

How deep was the water compared to the Jeep? Up to the axles, doors?

How fast were you going?

Did you modify the intake, trans breather and axle breather tubes for water crossing?

Let us know.

yetjeep 06-04-2011 10:56 PM

I have a k&n intake and when I tried Yo turn over once it made a noise but after that pretty much sounded like battery dead I plugged my programer and no code I plan on replacing oil and plugs tomorrow. How do I crank it over by hand?

yetjeep 06-04-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape (Post 425240)
Pull all sparkplugs and see if you can turn it over by hand with a wrench on the crank pulley. If it does is there any BAD noises? Drain all fluids and replace.

How deep was the water compared to the Jeep? Up to the axles, doors?

How fast were you going?

Did you modify the intake, trans breather and axle breather tubes for water crossing?

Let us know.

It was almost to the door and only k&n and I wasnt going to fast if I was going faster I would made it easy.

yetjeep 06-05-2011 08:49 PM

So I changed all plugs and oil to day and it is still not starting sounds like it just won't turn over like a dead battery sound and clicks

lll2for3lll 06-05-2011 09:03 PM

I bet there is a bad sensor somewhere. I just don't know where.

Marlin 06-05-2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yetjeep (Post 425755)
So I changed all plugs and oil to day and it is still not starting sounds like it just won't turn over like a dead battery sound and clicks

That sounds hyro-locked! Don't try and start it any more!

Pull ALL the spark plugs and then wind it over on the starter motor...... you wanna see if water comes out of the plug holes.

Do it soon!