Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   New to the jeep community. have a question about a strange noise (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/new-to-the-jeep-community-have-a-question-about-a-strange-noise-24038.html)

snowchiq16 06-05-2011 01:45 AM

New to the jeep community. have a question about a strange noise

Hello everyone. I recently bought a 99 grand cherokee limited and so far everything has been great on it except I have noticed when I make a sharp left turn there's a strange whining, sometimes grinding noise if it's right after a cold start, coming from the rear driver's side tire area but it stops as soon as I begin going straight again. What could be causing this? I do have a warranty on the vehicle so I'll probably be taking it back to get checked out soon but I was just trying to get an idea of what it may be? While driving normally I have no other issues or noises that I can hear. Hoping it's nothing serious. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Hope to hear from someone soon and thanks in advance.

Frango100 06-05-2011 07:50 AM

Re: New to the jeep community. have a question about a strange noise

Welcome to the Garage. Do you only hear the noise with lefthand turns and not with righthand? They should check first if there is any play on the rear wheels.
If the noise is also there on right hand turns and you have a Quadra Drive or 4x2 with tow package, your problem could be the lack of a limited slip additive in the rear differential.

snowchiq16 06-05-2011 12:03 PM

there is some noise with righthand turns but still only from the left side and not as much. i did check for play thinking it could be a wheel bearing but then i read somewhere that slight back and forth play on the rear is normal on jeeps (not sure how true the info was i know normally back and forth play means wheel bearings). i do have quadra drive if that's the case what do you do to fix that? Totally new to any kind of 4 wheel drive lol.

Frango100 06-05-2011 04:14 PM

On Quadra Drive jeeps there is a VariLoc inside the differencial. It will lock both wheels on the same axle when a slip on one side occurs. But when making a turn the inner wheel is rotating slower then the outer wheel, which would make one of the wheels to slip when the differential completely locked. The limited slip additive (its just an additive to the fluid) is just there to allow a certain amount of slip in the VariLoc to be able to make turns without any wheel slippage. Don't know if the fluid of the diffs was changed lately, if not i would start with this and put the limited slip additive in both diffs.
It is normal that you can rotate a wheel a bit, due to play in the gears. But if you grab the wheel and when you feel axial play, most probably you have a problem with a wheel bearing. But i think that a bearing would make noise when driving straight as well.
I have never heard the noise myself when there is no limited slip additive in the diff fluid, so i donīt know which kind of sound it makes and where exactly it comes from.

snowchiq16 06-06-2011 11:23 PM

Would this be a difficult job to change the fluids? And yea I've delt with bad wheel bearings before and it doesn't seem to be the same type of noise and like i said there's no noise at all in light turns and straight aways.

Frango100 06-07-2011 08:58 AM

Its not difficult to do, it will only take some time to do it. You have to remove the diff cover to drain the fluid. Its always good practice to remove the fill plug before draining (when it has a metal fill plug, my front axle is like that, but my rear axle has a rubber fill plug). It can happen sometimes that the fill plug is rotten in place and if you canīt remove it, you will not be able to fill it again and will be stuck with an undriveable vehicle.
For the front diff you can easily remove the cover without any jacking, but for the rear cover you have to jack up the rear of the jeep to get access to the upper cover bolts. When you remove all the bolts less 2 in a horizontal position (loosen these 2 bolts a few turns at least to be able to get some play on the cover) and use a screwdriver or alike to pry loose the cover (take care in not scratching the diff). The fluid will come out now and with the 2 bolts still in place it will not come out at once. When the fluid flow gets less, you can remove the last 2 bolts and remove the cover completely. Now you have to remove the silicone seal from the cover and the diff. Some people use a cleaner to remove all fluid from the diff, but i normally just use a rag only. Inside the diff cover is a magnet. There is normally a very fine layer of metal glinsters on it. If there are bigger particles or a thick layer of glinsters, its a sign of some problem inside the diff.
Remove all fluid from the sealing surface and apply a new beat of silicone. I use normally a beat of approx 3 mm. Take care around the bolt holes that you donīt forget some place, otherwise you will end up with a leak. After fastening all cover bolts you can wait half an hour to let the silicone dry, but i normally fill it up right away. Fill it until the fluid will flow over from the fill plug opening (with the jeep on level ground). Install the fill plug and your done.

Here some info regarding the fluid:

FRONT AXLE
186 FBI (Model 30) - Mopart Synthetic Gear
Lubricant 75W-140

REAR AXLE
194 RBI (Model 35) - Mopart Gear Lubricant
80W-90 (Trailer Towing - Mopar
t Synthetic Gear
Lubricant 75W-140

226 RBA (Model 44) - Mopart Gear Lubricant
80W-90 (Trailer Towing - Mopar
t Synthetic Gear
Lubricant 75W-140

FRONT AXLE ą 0.3 L (1 oz.)
186 FBI (Model 30) 1.18 L (2.5 pts.)*
* With Vari-Lok add 0.07 L (2.5 oz.) of Friction
Modifier.
REAR AXLE ą 0.3 L (1 oz.)
198 RBI (Model 35) 1.66 L (3.5 pts.)*
226 RBA (Model 44) 2.24 L (4.75 pts.)**
* With Trac-lok add 0.07 L (2.5 oz.) of Friction
Modifier.
** With Trac-lok or Vari-Lok, add 0.07 L (2.5 oz.) of
Friction Modifier.

The are some fluid available witht the friction modifier already in it.
Succes.

mon_21 06-07-2011 10:13 AM

Had the same issue when I first got my jeep, grinding sound during a left and a right turn. At first, I thought it was the front bearings that was causing it, so I had to roll my sleeves and replaced both. Sound continued to happen, and I could not pinpoint where it was coming from. From the inside it sounded like it's coming from the front.

I was dumbfounded for about a week tying to locate the sound, until I walked inside Advanced Auto and the 1st thing I saw was a bottle of "Gear Oil" and thats when it hit me. I Replaced the REAR differential first then did a test drive, and it was a sigh of relief! The stupid sound was gone! I did the front one for good measures.....

Hope you get it fix man.....Good Luck!