Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   2012 srt8 vs 2012 overland (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/2012-srt8-vs-2012-overland-24040.html)

Gene 06-05-2011 07:26 AM

2012 srt8 vs 2012 overland

Outside of the 6.4 vs 5.7 and quad lift what are the main differences??? The specs list the srt8 as allwheel drive. How does that relate to the overland?

Gene

mjw930 06-05-2011 08:30 AM

Re: 2012 srt8 vs 2012 overland

Overland:

No adjustable shocks, the current valving is tuned for comfort at the expense of performance
2 speed transfer case geared for offroad use
Much higher ride height, even in sport mode
Narrower wheels preventing the use of real performance tires
Less supporting seats
Higher tow rating, possibly due to spring rates or drivetrain, no one knows.
high 7, low 8 second 0-60 vs. 4.8 0-60

It's just a different demographic, the SRT has no offroad pretensions, it's all about on road performance. Luckily they've retained some tow capabilities so it can be used as an SUV rather than a huge car.

BTW, I have a 2011 Overland V8 4X4. If I can negotiate a decent deal I'll be trading it in on an SRT sometime later this year or early next.

jgc4ever 06-05-2011 09:54 AM

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 (and in all 2012 SRT8s):

"Building upon the standard Fuel Saver technology (four-cylinder mode) found in the new 6.4 HEMI V-8, a new for 2012 active valve exhaust system allows the technology to engage over a wider rpm range, which delivers improved fuel efficiency or the use of all eight cylinders when the power is needed. An active intake manifold and high-lift camshaft with cam phasing provides maximum low-end torque for impressive standing starts while optimizing high-end power."

"For the first time in any Chrysler Group LLC SRT product, standard paddle-shift technology joins the standard AutoStick on the floor shifter. Both are mated to the proven W5A580 five-speed automatic transmission, allowing a choice of spirited shifting on the road and the racetrack. Both shifting methods give the driver the ability to shift while the transmission controller calibration prevents situations that might over rev the engine. Fully adaptive electronic control of all shifting makes the powertrain more responsive while minimizing harshness."

"...an adaptive damping suspension that uses a wide range of on-road and driver inputs, such as vehicle speed, steering angle, steering speed, brake torque, throttle position and lateral acceleration, to automatically tune the suspension for specific conditions. Drivers also can manually choose between “Auto” and “Sport” settings that quickly change the shock damping and harshness characteristics from the ease of everyday commuting to harsher, more challenging driving situations."

"The performance SRT-tuned, fully hydraulic steering system also is improved with a new, heavy-duty pump and revised gearing to give drivers more direct feel and on-center response."

Scottina06 06-05-2011 10:24 AM

check this for cosmetic differences

http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=24010

Gene 06-05-2011 11:16 AM

What lead me to ask the first question was I had read in another forum that the SRT8 was previously priced several thousand below the Overland. Sort of puzzled me.

Can't wait for the magazines to get ahold of one!
Thanks for the replies.
Gene

Scottina06 06-05-2011 12:33 PM

and I suspect this one will be too

mjw930 06-05-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene (Post 425427)
What lead me to ask the first question was I had read in another forum that the SRT8 was previously priced several thousand below the Overland. Sort of puzzled me.

Can't wait for the magazines to get ahold of one!
Thanks for the replies.
Gene

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 425466)
and I suspect this one will be too

I'm not so sure about being thousands less but I expect it to come in a bit less than a V8 4x4 Overland simply because all the new parts don't equal the cost of the air suspension, which it loses.

These differences are why I think it will come in below the base Overland 4X4 V8:
Lower priced suspension
Lower priced transfer case
Equal net price interior
Slightly higher priced drivetrain (maybe a couple hundred buck more expensive, but not much more)
Equal price infotainment system
Higher priced wheels and tires
Higher priced brakes

I think the higher priced items still add up to be less than the costs of the QL and 2 Speed transfer case.

Now, the dealers may only order the SRT8 with all the options like the better stereo and adaptive cruise which will push the price closer to 50K.

Fully loaded I still think it comes in cheaper than an Overland Summit.

GCOverland 06-12-2011 05:31 PM

Even if the MSRP is a bit below of the one of an Overland - we'll probably never see the kind of incentives on the SRT which you would get on an Overland. Therefore, the more expensive Overland might still be cheaper in the end.

At least that's how it was in the past..:rolleyes:

mjw930 06-12-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCOverland (Post 429568)
Even if the MSRP is a bit below of the one of an Overland - we'll probably never see the kind of incentives on the SRT which you would get on an Overland. Therefore, the more expensive Overland might still be cheaper in the end.

At least that's how it was in the past..:rolleyes:

Well, so far the extent of the incentives on the Overland have been lower interest rates that you can usually beat if you have decent credit.

GCOverland 06-12-2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 429657)
Well, so far the extent of the incentives on the Overland have been lower interest rates that you can usually beat if you have decent credit.

Looking at the demand on the GC WKII so far, that doesn't surprise me. Give it two more years and the incentives (i.e. $3,000 cash) will be back.

Another reason not to buy a new model in the two initial MYs. First, you have to pay more and as a bonus, you have to work out any potential bugs..;)