Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Having Air Conditioning (HVAC) Issues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/having-air-conditioning-hvac-issues-24077.html)

Zman 06-05-2011 10:46 PM

Having Air Conditioning (HVAC) Issues

Even though its early June and we had snow last week here in Northern California I am having issues with my new Overland Air Conditioning. When we have nice days (few and far between) and I want to open the roof vent and/or windows to get fresh air I find that the A/C is running most of the time as verified by visually monitoring the under hood A/C clutch engagement.
For example: in manual mode, with the A/C and recirculation control not activated, the outside temperature 56 degrees and the inside temp set for 72 degrees through the dash panel vents (not in defrost or mix) , the A/C operates 100% of the time, I can't disengage it. (Note the A/C dash button light is not on). What I am surmising is that the system must take outside air (56 degrees) send it through the A/C system then heat it before its exiting the dash panel vents. It seems to me it should just take outside fresh 56 degree air and heat it as necessary without the A/C system being involved. I have taken the car to 2 different dealers and each had to read the owners manual to determine how to operate the system and then said) "must be how the system is designed, or, there must be humidity in the car". One said "if you don't want the A/C operating turn the complete HVAC system off". Bottom line is I can't seem to get outside fresh air only.

I also find that the A/C works all the time in auto mode even when the outside temp is in 50's, and, only when I go from auto to manual mode does the A/C dash light actuate.

Has anyone else experienced the same or similar situation?????

Thanks in advance for your input.

AAAA 06-06-2011 09:37 AM

Re: Having Air Conditioning (HVAC) Issues

My experience is that most late model cars have A/C running at all times.

Andrew Klossner 06-06-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zman (Post 425832)
In manual mode, with the A/C and recirculation control not activated, the outside temperature 56 degrees and the inside temp set for 72 degrees through the dash panel vents (not in defrost or mix), the A/C operates 100% of the time, I can't disengage it.

The owner's manual says A/C can also activate in floor mode. Only panel and bi-level modes are safe.

I ventilate the cabin by operating the system in manual, panel mode, with temperature set to LO. I'm pretty sure my A/C doesn't kick in; dry air makes my sinuses ache.

1200RT-P 06-06-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Klossner (Post 426093)
The owner's manual says A/C can also activate in floor mode. Only panel and bi-level modes are safe.

I ventilate the cabin by operating the system in manual, panel mode, with temperature set to LO. I'm pretty sure my A/C doesn't kick in; dry air makes my sinuses ache.

I hate automatic climate control. It thinks too much.

In all honesty, if my fan is on, i want AC. If its off, windows are open. If the heat is on, its on "hi". Live in a temperate climate, but still. Who needs all these settings?

ChrisL1976 06-06-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1200RT-P (Post 426197)
Who needs all these settings?

I take it you have never been in the car with a pregnant women before? :lol:

chuckbernard 09-15-2011 01:03 AM

I was looking for another thread where someone mentioned that they could never turn off their air conditioning.

I have been experimenting a lot with mine because I feel that it is always activated no matter which manual settings I am using. When the A/C light is off in manual mode then, in my opinion, it should NOT be on. However when it is 90 degrees outside and the A/C light is off but it still stays cold in the car then I know something is wrong. Maybe it would get better gas milage if the A/C wasn't always on! I expect that this may work this way if you are set to defrost but should be so when it is pointing towards your face or feet or a combo thereof.

Is this broken and in need of repair or does everybody's do this????

plynn7 09-15-2011 11:21 AM

I have tried this as well, what seems to work is, if you turn the temp setting all the way down to low and turn off the ac then the air that comes out is not air conditioned.

Wolfpacker 10-31-2011 05:50 PM

I am hoping for more discussion on this. I am having the same problem. We live in the North Carolina mountains and on cool sunny days it would be nice to "open a vent" and let fresh air in. I understand I can lower the windows and pop the roof, but that does not always fly with the wife.
When I am getting fresh are into the cabin, and the AC green light is off, it still feels like the ac is on, cold air not cool.
Anyone else had success with plynn7's comment
" I have tried this as well, what seems to work is, if you turn the temp setting all the way down to low and turn off the ac then the air that comes out is not air conditioned."

jeep2011 11-05-2011 08:50 PM

Mine always works without the A/C running. I never use auto mode and my vents are always in either face or floor only. If you use AUTO, bi-level, or defrost it will activate the compressor.