Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Current Project Rear Cargo Area (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/current-project-rear-cargo-area-24093.html)

lewi3069 06-06-2011 11:31 AM

Current Project Rear Cargo Area

2 Attachment(s)
So yesterday I finally started my next project on the jeep. Its a new "tray" area for the cargo area. My previous stock set up I lost some room with my sub box, amp, and inverter. With this new design I will have a spot in the right for my sub and then amp and inverter. In the front I will sub divide the large compartment for my jack, tow strap and chain, and jumper cables leaving me with a larger space for whatever else... Then I will have the whole cargo area to use for other things like cargo! :eek:

antsjeep 06-06-2011 02:49 PM

Re: Current Project Rear Cargo Area

the sub firing upwards is not really gonna do much. It be best to have it firing against something (rear hatch door or even back seats... if you had to) .

Sweet idea though. I like all the compartments... keeps things very organized! :thumbsup:

lewi3069 06-06-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antsjeep (Post 426180)
the sub firing upwards is not really gonna do much. It be best to have it firing against something (rear hatch door or even back seats... if you had to) .

Sweet idea though. I like all the compartments... keeps things very organized! :thumbsup:

Yea I may adjust the sub the old box I had was slanted at a 45 angle and fired in to the rear hatch... I figure I would see how much I lost...

lewi3069 06-24-2011 09:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My box is pretty much done. I will finish the carpet in the back and then mount the top down. Then wire everything up. I got the plug idea from AcidCold's thread http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php...ght=rear+cargo. I feel I have a lot more functional space in my jeep now I can keep the sub, amp, and inverter out of the way. While at the same time adding space for my tow straps/chains, jumper cables, cargo net, jack, and what ever else I need to store.

But here are a few pictures of the final product.

B.P.O.D 06-24-2011 09:32 AM

nice bro! thats solid! timmy b did a false floor as well but his was not a sub box either:)

how are you wiring your inverter? battery up front? battery in the back? what kind of inverter?

lewi3069 06-24-2011 09:44 AM

Well for the intervter I had it all hooked up previously and it was just laying in the back taking space. But I ran 2 sets of 4 gauge to the back from the front one for winch and one to a fused distro block that has my amp and inverter on it. The amp and inverter will be in the back inline with the sub. Then I bought a medium duty appliance cord from lowes (cord with one plug molded on it and bare wire on the other end) and hooked that up into the outlet. The outlet is in a "old work" box and the wire will just plug into the inverter. This way if I ever need to swap interters I can just unplug and re-plug.

This is the inverter I have on the smaller side but does what I need it to do for now. My 500w one blew up on me this past winter.. http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...sku=PNOTEAC350

B.P.O.D 06-24-2011 10:00 AM

oh ok gotcha, i thought for some reason you were putting in a heavy duty inverter like a 2000w rms or something... good work!

lewi3069 06-24-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.P.O.D (Post 436785)
oh ok gotcha, i thought for some reason you were putting in a heavy duty inverter like a 2000w rms or something... good work!

Nope not yet at least. Really for what I use mine for the 350 will do fine. I usually plug in a few laptops. I have had to solder from it when I was installing my cb and I used our Milwaukee drill, but most of its duty is for the laptops.

If I do get a new one this will be it. http://www.tripplite.com/en/products...xtModelID=2905

SRTILL8 06-24-2011 10:16 AM

how much weight did all this add? looks sharp! nice job bro

lewi3069 06-24-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTILLA (Post 436796)
how much weight did all this add? looks sharp! nice job bro

Thanks! I couldn't really tell you the weight off hand. I think it was about 1.5 sheet of MDF. So I would Estimate around 120lbs. And I don't know what the stock box weighed to subtract from that.

remmy 06-24-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antsjeep (Post 426180)

I'll step in on one and say "nope". I ha this same exact idea and I did one (never got around to building the actual drawer) with two Infinity 8" subs in heir own .5 cubic foot compartment and it pounded. I was and still am using the same JBL 600w amp. If I were to do it again, I would have spent the extra coin and got higher power CDT 8" subs and raised the box height from 6" to 8". I ditched the idea and sold the box after I did hi-fi build in favor of being able to access the amp in the floor and have my cargo area back with a 12" Alpine Type R in a .75 box

lewi3069 06-24-2011 11:39 AM

^ This is good to hear. I wasn't too worried about it I would still have bass. Thats all I'm looking for.