Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   cutting off cat? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/cutting-off-cat-24153.html)

JeepFreak12 06-07-2011 06:50 PM

cutting off cat?

I have a 99 grand cherokee limited with a 4.7 v8. i have a flowmaster super 44 muffler and want to cut off the cat and put in a straight pipe. Anyone have anyone have any problems with their car running after? please let me know.

slim 08-10-2011 07:38 PM

Re: cutting off cat?

honestly id nvr do that personally id leave cat and cutt off the muffler myself the cat takes back pressure off motor id have atleast one of the two but on newer vehicles id nvr cut cats off with all the computers in a wj......if u do the ses light will more than likely go off and jeep may burn to rich i may be wrong but with all the technology in these newer vehicles i wouldnt cut cat off i have a 04 wj that has cat and no muffler and is pretty freaking loud of course after lift nothing behind cat but generall if there was more pipe after the cat it would be even louder try by removing the muffler and if ur unhappy look into it

Crestwood1001 08-10-2011 08:39 PM

Wrong section of the forum, you might have better luck in the correct section for someone who knows.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

Escape 08-10-2011 09:18 PM

This is illegal, but it can be done!

Ok, with that disclamer out of the way.

Yes, you can remove it.

Yes, you will get an engine light as your downstream O2 sensor will show that the cat isn't functioning (cause it's gone...lol).

If you have emissions testing you will NOT pass.

Your pre-cat O2 does your fueling your post-cat O2 checks to make sure your cat is working for emissions. This mod will not cause fueling issues. It will cause emission issues.

Why are you thinking you want to remove it?

Crestwood1001 08-10-2011 09:47 PM

If your going for noise, I'd say don't do it, that's just annoying. But if your deadset on it get a high flow cat. Cutting your cat out is redneck and stupid, there are proper ways around it.

TJXJWJ 08-11-2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 463700)
If your going for noise, I'd say don't do it, that's just annoying. But if your deadset on it get a high flow cat. Cutting your cat out is redneck and stupid, there are proper ways around it.

Or you can cut it off pre-cat, get some 90 degree bends and straight-pipe the rest up through the engine compartment and drill some holes in the hood to run them out.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...uzsxnr5KFKyUp8

Crestwood1001 08-11-2011 10:43 AM

^Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

dmsfun 08-12-2011 11:11 AM

If the stock cat is old and geting clogged, why not replace it with a good high flow unit ? Cutting it off may lose low end torque, will add noise, and is very environmentally irresponsible.

Crestwood1001 08-12-2011 12:39 PM

Plus you sound like a douche bag driving around like that, I cant stand when kids around here do it, and I know noone else likes it. A high flow cat keeps you legal, but still gives you a nice sound without any of the negitives

JeepFreak12 08-27-2011 02:45 PM

I ended up cutting the cat off and put a piece of straight pipe in it's place. I'm very happy! It sounds amazing!

4.whoa 08-27-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape (Post 463676)
This is illegal, but it can be done!

If you have emissions testing you will NOT pass.

And ,if caught without it,can get fined.

Crestwood1001 08-27-2011 03:23 PM

Yea your gonna get pulled over sooner rather then later. Add to that the environmental irresponsibility that your pulling off right now. Is there a specific reason you did this? There are proper ways to go about getting loud sound without just chopping up your exhaust.